Options

Scope of the forum

edited February 10 in Strategy

In my post Azimuth Code Project I wrote:

This is not to say, however, that the "classic Azimuth" applications to the understanding of the environment couldn't also be continued in an awakened code project.   I believe those ideas are still good, valid and important.   It's just that we have a new crowd of people with a different focus now, so there's probably not enough active interest now for a revival there.

Nay, the mathematics of the environment is a great potential application of category theory -- we'll stay tuned for research developments at UCR -- and hence is eminently within scope on a forum that is concentrating on applied category theory.

Comments

edited February 2

And an even more general argument can be made.

Since category theory is a 'meta' branch of mathematics, some of best applications may be to other branches of mathematical theory.  

We're already seen applications to diverse areas of math such as algebraic topology, networks of Markov processes, type theory, ...

So all of math is fair game for application of category theory -- either now or down the road.

Comment Source:And an even more general argument can be made. Since category theory is a 'meta' branch of mathematics, some of best applications may be to other branches of mathematical theory.   We're already seen applications to diverse areas of math such as algebraic topology, networks of Markov processes, type theory, ... So all of math is fair game for application of category theory -- either now or down the road.
    edited February 2

Similarly, all the sciences are fair game for application of category theory. Whereas with math we seek theoretical applications, with the sciences we seek pragmatic applications.

And with computer science, which is both math and science, these come packaged together.

Comment Source:Similarly, all the sciences are fair game for application of category theory. Whereas with math we seek theoretical applications, with the sciences we seek pragmatic applications. And with computer science, which is both math and science, these come packaged together.

Based on these considerations, it follows that no branch of math or science should be off-topic in a forum that focuses on category theory; which seeks to develop and find new applications.

Comment Source:Based on these considerations, it follows that no branch of math or science should be off-topic in a forum that focuses on category theory; which seeks to develop and find new applications.

On the other hand, to keep things organic, I think we should focus our organizational efforts around those topics where there is the most active interest at the time.  

And right now, the winner is...functional programming!

Comment Source:On the other hand, to keep things organic, I think we should focus our _organizational_ efforts around those topics where there is the most active interest at the time.   And right now, the winner is...functional programming!
    edited February 2

@DavidTanzer If a name can be agreed I'll create a new repo under the Azimuth organisation and add anybody who posts their github name as committers and I'd hope some of you might indicate your agreement to be admins as we need a few apart from John and me. Repos by language eg. Haskell, Idris, Python, Prolog, Javascript is one set of possibilities. ProgrammingWithCategories,FunctionalProgramming or AppliedCategoryTheory might be others. WDYT? @AllanErskine @MatthewDoty @WebHubTel @JanGalkowski @GrahamJones @JohnBaez

Comment Source:@DavidTanzer If a name can be agreed I'll create a new repo under the Azimuth organisation and add anybody who posts their github name as committers and I'd hope some of you might indicate your agreement to be admins as we need a few apart from John and me. Repos by language eg. Haskell, Idris, Python, Prolog, Javascript is one set of possibilities. ProgrammingWithCategories,FunctionalProgramming or AppliedCategoryTheory might be others. WDYT? @AllanErskine @MatthewDoty @WebHubTel @JanGalkowski @GrahamJones @JohnBaez
    edited February 2

What about azimuthforum as the name? That represents the community here as a group, and is clearly identified. People could create folders for projects that they work on, as they would emerge over time. We should be able to mix codes from different languages in the same projects -- the division by languages can take place as folders within each project.

We should avoid anything that would imply a possible proliferation of repos. And creating too much structure in advance of actual activity (I have learned this the hard way).

This way we can keep it simple, with room to grow.

Comment Source:What about azimuthforum as the name? That represents the community here as a group, and is clearly identified. People could create folders for projects that they work on, as they would emerge over time. We should be able to mix codes from different languages in the same projects -- the division by languages can take place as folders within each project. We should avoid anything that would imply a possible proliferation of repos. And creating too much structure in advance of actual activity (I have learned this the hard way). This way we can keep it simple, with room to grow.

I don't really care about the name. ProgrammingWithCategories2020 might be good.

I will probably make my own subdirectory for my stuff (this is what we do for our math talks at work).

Comment Source:I don't really care about the name. ProgrammingWithCategories2020 might be good. I will probably make my own subdirectory for my stuff (this is what we do for our math talks at work).
    edited February 3

Jim, I think I have privileges to access the Azimuth GitHub as it is.

Recently I received this in my email

A new security advisory was published We found a vulnerable dependency in repositories you have security alert access to. Security advisory GHSA-2qrg-x229-3v8q (moderate severity) affects 1 repository: log4j:log4j (Maven) used in 1 repository @azimuth-project azimuth-project/SDEModels

This is concerning "Stochastic dynamic equilibrium models in Java and Scala."

Comment Source:Jim, I think I have privileges to access the Azimuth GitHub as it is. Recently I received this in my email >A new security advisory was published >We found a vulnerable dependency in repositories you have security alert access to. >Security advisory GHSA-2qrg-x229-3v8q (moderate severity) affects 1 repository: >log4j:log4j (Maven) used in 1 repository > @azimuth-project azimuth-project/SDEModels This is concerning "Stochastic dynamic equilibrium models in Java and Scala."

@WebHubTel Yep, like 10/12 members you're an "owner" with all permissions. I didn't know that there's a github sec. alert system. You must be signed up to it but I'm not. I found the report with that GHSA id in the github security db http://bit.ly/37XWRbL. It's 2 decades since I used maven and can't remember what log4j was so I just deleted that dependency from the pom file. @grahamjones wasn't this your code? Because I ported most of the code in the project from some other repo for some reason, I'm named as the committer for all of it. @davidtanzer All "owners" has been the rights system for years as anybody who's got a legit. github account and is an Azimuth project member is trusted.

Comment Source:@WebHubTel Yep, like 10/12 members you're an "owner" with all permissions. I didn't know that there's a github sec. alert system. You must be signed up to it but I'm not. I found the report with that GHSA id in the github security db http://bit.ly/37XWRbL. It's 2 decades since I used maven and can't remember what log4j was so I just deleted that dependency from the pom file. @grahamjones wasn't this your code? Because I ported most of the code in the project from some other repo for some reason, I'm named as the committer for all of it. @davidtanzer All "owners" has been the rights system for years as anybody who's got a legit. github account and is an Azimuth project member is trusted.