Options

Draft version of an updated home page for the Azimuth Project

Hi, it feels like time to bring the home page up to date. Here is a draft version for a new home page.

Circumstances have changed, as well as our focuses. Yet I have tried to preserve the "Azimuth spirit" in this writing.

Open for discussion.

Comments

Hi David, I like what you've written. I think it's clear and focused. I look forward to understanding what is meant by Green Math.

Personally, I am interested in category theory as it comes up in understanding the big picture in mathematics. In particular, I am working on a map of how math unfolds with its various branches, concepts, questions, conclusions... http://www.ms.lt/sodas/Book/Math I imagine that would be helpful for collaboration and for learning.

Comment Source:Hi David, I like what you've written. I think it's clear and focused. I look forward to understanding what is meant by Green Math. Personally, I am interested in category theory as it comes up in understanding the big picture in mathematics. In particular, I am working on a map of how math unfolds with its various branches, concepts, questions, conclusions... http://www.ms.lt/sodas/Book/Math I imagine that would be helpful for collaboration and for learning.
    edited February 16

Thank you Andrius.

I just made a substantial edit. The new version is more succinct. Details about engaging with the forum will be offloaded to the wiki for the Azimuth Forum.

Comment Source:Thank you Andrius. I just made a substantial edit. The new version is more succinct. Details about engaging with the forum will be offloaded to the wiki for the Azimuth Forum.
    edited February 16

As indicated in resources section, as part of this plan I propose to refactor the wiki into a few webs.

Each web of Instiki website is a separate namespace for articles. Yet the webs are housed together in the same database, and you can create interweb links.

Comment Source:As indicated in resources section, as part of this plan I propose to refactor the wiki into a few webs. Each web of Instiki website is a separate namespace for articles. Yet the webs are housed together in the same database, and you can create interweb links.

Presently, the wiki is a "kitchen sink" mixture of heterogenous types: articles from the inactive Azimuth science library, drafts of blog articles, and, much more excitingly, a place where Joe Moeller is now actively adding math pages for his research.

Comment Source:Presently, the wiki is a "kitchen sink" mixture of heterogenous types: articles from the inactive Azimuth science library, drafts of blog articles, and, much more excitingly, a place where Joe Moeller is now actively adding math pages for his research.
    edited February 16

In principle, content can be differentiated by using the category:abc tags.

But that falls short of creating separate namespaces for things which really deserve to be separated, like old drafts of blog articles and key definitions in a research wiki.

In particular, searching the wiki will pull up all of these pages into the search results.

Having separate webs also makes it possible for different sub-communities to develop their own page naming conventions.

Clicking on "All Pages" becomes more useful when it doesn't pull up all kinds of things which appear random because they are out of context.

Comment Source:In principle, content can be differentiated by using the category:abc tags. But that falls short of creating separate namespaces for things which really deserve to be separated, like old drafts of blog articles and key definitions in a research wiki. In particular, searching the wiki will pull up all of these pages into the search results. Having separate webs also makes it possible for different sub-communities to develop their own page naming conventions. Clicking on "All Pages" becomes more useful when it doesn't pull up all kinds of things which appear random because they are out of context.
    edited February 16

So my plan is to initially create three new webs, one for the blogging sandbox, one for the Azimuth science library, and one for the Azimuth Code Project (including experiments).

I'll use a database update to move those pages, along with their histories, to the new webs.

These webs will be linked on homepage, so there will be no loss of accessibility or visibility - in fact it will promote visibility, by giving each thing its own clear home.

Comment Source:So my plan is to initially create three new webs, one for the blogging sandbox, one for the Azimuth science library, and one for the Azimuth Code Project (including experiments). I'll use a database update to move those pages, along with their histories, to the new webs. These webs will be linked on homepage, so there will be no loss of accessibility or visibility - in fact it will promote visibility, by giving each thing its own clear home.

What will remain, I believe, will be the pages that Joe is actively creating.

Won't this be nice, to have an active web on the front page!

Comment Source:What will remain, I believe, will be the pages that Joe is actively creating. Won't this be nice, to have an active web on the front page!
    edited February 16

This web can then be re-designated as the Azimuth applied category community wiki.

Comment Source:This web can then be re-designated as the Azimuth applied category community wiki.

As needs evolve, new webs can be created, and linked into the appropriate place on the Azimuth Project page, or on the wiki page for the Azimuth Forum.

For example, were there sufficient interest on the forum, a "side-web" could be created for writing up solutions to math exercises.

Comment Source:As needs evolve, new webs can be created, and linked into the appropriate place on the Azimuth Project page, or on the wiki page for the Azimuth Forum. For example, were there sufficient interest on the forum, a "side-web" could be created for writing up solutions to math exercises.
    edited February 16

In my new version of the draft, I wrote:

The Azimuth Project aims to promote research and education for the math and science that will be needed to survive the environmental crisis and thrive beyond it.

We could think of this as the "Azimuth principle."

Really, what it amounts to is a fundamental goal for humanistic science in the current age. So we can't claim any exclusive ownership here.

On the other hand, John does deserve credit for clearly grasping and articulating it, advocating for it, initiating the Azimuth Project, and leading fundamental research in this direction!

Comment Source:In my new version of the draft, I wrote: > The Azimuth Project aims to promote research and education for the math and science that will be needed to survive the environmental crisis and thrive beyond it. We could think of this as the "Azimuth principle." Really, what it amounts to is a fundamental goal for humanistic science in the current age. So we can't claim any exclusive ownership here. On the other hand, John does deserve credit for clearly grasping and articulating it, advocating for it, initiating the Azimuth Project, and leading fundamental research in this direction!

1001 groups around the globe could be working on some aspect of the Azimuth/humanistic-science mission.

The Azimuth Project, as a particular organization, is now working in the sector of applied category theory.

Comment Source:1001 groups around the globe could be working on some aspect of the Azimuth/humanistic-science mission. The Azimuth Project, as a particular organization, is now working in the sector of applied category theory.

I also wrote in the draft:

We are open to the inclusion of new projects, provided they are closely connected with our aim stated above. Please join the Azimuth Forum to tell us about your ideas.

Comment Source:I also wrote in the draft: > We are open to the inclusion of new projects, provided they are closely connected with our aim stated above. Please join the Azimuth Forum to tell us about your ideas.

For the longer term, we can be open to the possibility of offering resources, in particular wiki webs, to other projects that we may come to deem as part of the core Azimuth project -- or sufficiently simpatico to Azimuth.

Comment Source:For the longer term, we can be open to the possibility of offering resources, in particular wiki webs, to other projects that we may come to deem as part of the core Azimuth project -- or sufficiently simpatico to Azimuth.
    edited February 16

In any case, new wiki webs would only be granted to other groups provided that they first presented their case on the forum for inclusion into Azimuth, and provided that consensus was then reached on the forum to grant that web.

Comment Source:In any case, new wiki webs would only be granted to other groups provided that they first presented their case on the forum for inclusion into Azimuth, and provided that consensus was then reached on the forum to grant that web.
    edited February 16

Open to discussion on any of these points. I'm looking to get started with these changes in early March.

Comment Source:Open to discussion on any of these points. I'm looking to get started with these changes in early March.

We are open to the inclusion of new projects, provided they are closely connected with our aim stated above, [in that t]he Azimuth Project aims to promote research and education for the math and science that will be needed to survive the environmental crisis and thrive beyond it.

I've recently reached a logical point to pause in my existing research programme, and I have made available on researchgate a short summary here. Some of the work is not very sensible and perhaps a little bit 'out there', but there are I think many pieces of interesting structure and insight therein that people might like to formalise.

Included in the summary are sketches as to how the ideas to date could be extended for the next phase of the programme, which I anticipate to be much more abstract that what has already been done, and potentially also more interesting.

In particular, I'm currently looking to hand over what I have already written in that respect, and sow the seeds for future work. A new wiki web could potentially be part of that.

In any case, new wiki webs would only be granted to other groups provided that they first presented their case on the forum for inclusion into Azimuth, and provided that consensus was then reached on the forum to grant that web.

Would it be reasonable for me to start a thread on this topic re: looking for some form of consensus?

Given that I am at present a group of one, I do not mind if the answer is a "not at present, but maybe in the future" one for the time being - or even a flat "no", as I do realise that adding pages to a subwiki could be a moderate amount of work and responsibility.

Comment Source:>We are open to the inclusion of new projects, provided they are closely connected with our aim stated above, [in that t]he Azimuth Project aims to promote research and education for the math and science that will be needed to survive the environmental crisis and thrive beyond it. I've recently reached a logical point to pause in my existing research programme, and I have made available on researchgate a short summary [here](https://www.researchgate.net/publication/338825550_A_map_of_a_research_programme_for_subtlety_theory). Some of the work is not very sensible and perhaps a little bit 'out there', but there are I think many pieces of interesting structure and insight therein that people might like to formalise. Included in the summary are sketches as to how the ideas to date could be extended for the next phase of the programme, which I anticipate to be much more abstract that what has already been done, and potentially also more interesting. In particular, I'm currently looking to hand over what I have already written in that respect, and sow the seeds for future work. A new wiki web could potentially be part of that. >In any case, new wiki webs would only be granted to other groups provided that they first presented their case on the forum for inclusion into Azimuth, and provided that consensus was then reached on the forum to grant that web. Would it be reasonable for me to start a thread on this topic re: looking for some form of consensus? Given that I am at present a group of one, I do not mind if the answer is a "not at present, but maybe in the future" one for the time being - or even a flat "no", as I do realise that adding pages to a subwiki could be a moderate amount of work and responsibility.
    edited February 17

Hi Chris!

It would be great to start a thread describing what your project is about - including how you might see it fitting in with the goals of Azimuth, as you understand or would like them to be.

Regarding the web itself, I'd like to punt on it for the short term, as we're now in a clarification phase about the definition of Azimuth itself. Hopefully this will be settled in the near future.

Thanks!

Comment Source:Hi Chris! It would be great to start a thread describing what your project is about - including how you might see it fitting in with the goals of Azimuth, as you understand or would like them to be. Regarding the web itself, I'd like to punt on it for the short term, as we're now in a clarification phase about the definition of Azimuth itself. Hopefully this will be settled in the near future. Thanks!