Options

Bezos Earth Fund

The "who, what, when, where, how and why" of spending $10bn on tackling the climate emergency is a topic which many members of the Azimuth project are well qualified to discuss!

Comments

Bezos' Instagram post didn't specify much : "This global initiative will fund scientists, activists, NGOs — any effort that offers a real possibility to help preserve and protect the natural world."

Regarding Jeff Bezos, I remember my dad writing a modem-based dialup shopping program in the 1982-1984 time-frame that was hosted by a local electronics dealer (a shop in Minneapolis on Lake St. IIRC) for ordering parts and stuff. This was a few years before the internet became popular so it was largely limited to customers who were also either bulletin-board hobbyists or engineers -- who else was going to figure out this was possible? So it essentially died out because of course the dealer was still going to make most of his sales the old-fashioned way. About the same I think Prodigy came along and offered dialup shopping as well, so the idea was always there, especially when one considers that Sears was a partner in the Prodigy joint venture along with IBM and CBS.

The historical connection between Bezos and ARPA/DARPA is intriguing as his grandfather was supposedly offered the top administrative post at ARPA early on. So when ARPANET/DARPANet became the Internet, it was perhaps in the cards that Bezos got family funding (circa 1993?) and created the monopoly that exists with respect to online ordering.

Comment Source:Bezos' Instagram post didn't specify much : *"This global initiative will fund scientists, activists, NGOs — any effort that offers a real possibility to help preserve and protect the natural world."* Regarding Jeff Bezos, I remember my dad writing a modem-based dialup shopping program in the 1982-1984 time-frame that was hosted by a local electronics dealer (a shop in Minneapolis on Lake St. IIRC) for ordering parts and stuff. This was a few years before the internet became popular so it was largely limited to customers who were also either bulletin-board hobbyists or engineers -- who else was going to figure out this was possible? So it essentially died out because of course the dealer was still going to make most of his sales the old-fashioned way. About the same I think Prodigy came along and offered dialup shopping as well, so the idea was always there, especially when one considers that Sears was a partner in the Prodigy joint venture along with IBM and CBS. The historical connection between Bezos and ARPA/DARPA is intriguing as his grandfather was supposedly offered the top administrative post at ARPA early on. So when ARPANET/DARPANet became the Internet, it was perhaps in the cards that Bezos got family funding (circa 1993?) and created the monopoly that exists with respect to online ordering.

There are plenty of plutocrat, neoliberal, "libertarian" shopkeepers who claim to be entrepreneurial geniuses. The little tinpot P. "Paypal" Thiel is another example.

Comment Source:There are plenty of plutocrat, neoliberal, "libertarian" shopkeepers who claim to be entrepreneurial geniuses. The little tinpot P. "Paypal" Thiel is another example.