Options

Wiki edits

Consolidated some of the categories int he library that had only a couple of entries in them.

Removed one article on German tax laws in 2013, as it's pretty dated and remote in topic.

Removed some "busy/task" pages that I had created, which never led to any activity.

Comments

edited February 2020

I suggest that this is a good opportunity to take inventory and clean up things which look dusty and unlikely to ever be developed.

Some useful adages:

• Less is more
    • More is less

I know that in the sweep of things, John encouraged us to create stub articles, on the theory that someone else would pick things up. But it turns out we weren't riding such a big wave. But a lot of very stubby stubs which hang around and are forgotten...well that leads to something that looks neglected, and is not putting our best foot forward.

So as part of reinvigoration we could do some weeding, to clear the way for new growth, new directions.

Comment Source:I suggest that this is a good opportunity to take inventory and clean up things which look dusty and unlikely to ever be developed. Some useful adages: * Less is more * More is less I know that in the sweep of things, John encouraged us to create stub articles, on the theory that someone else would pick things up. But it turns out we weren't riding such a big wave. But a lot of very stubby stubs which hang around and are forgotten...well that leads to something that looks neglected, and is not putting our best foot forward. So as part of reinvigoration we could do some weeding, to clear the way for new growth, new directions.

Azimuth Code Project page:

Bringing things up to date; removing broken links; improving the flow

https://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/Azimuth+Code+Project

Comment Source:Azimuth Code Project page: Bringing things up to date; removing broken links; improving the flow https://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/Azimuth+Code+Project
    edited March 2020

Home Page:

• Language tweaks and small clarifications (no mission statement changes)

• Added link to Azimuth math book

Comment Source:Home Page: * Language tweaks and small clarifications (no mission statement changes) * Added link to Azimuth math book

Streamlining of Azimuth Code Project page; remove old references

Comment Source:Streamlining of Azimuth Code Project page; remove old references * [Azimuth Code Project](https://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/Azimuth+Code+Project)
    • Homepage updated to Azimuth 2.0

• Created link to Azimuth Project on the forum home page

Comment Source:* Homepage updated to Azimuth 2.0 * Created link to Azimuth Project on the forum home page
    edited March 2020

Added Epidemiology study group to Azimuth Resources on the home page.

Call to action.

Comment Source:Added Epidemiology study group to Azimuth Resources on the home page. Call to action.
    edited October 2020

Hate to pollute this status update thread, but does anyone know why my "own page" (that is "Jan Galkowski") might be locked at the Wiki? I wanted to update it and I can't. Didn't know where else to place this. Please remove after answer.

Comment Source:Hate to pollute this status update thread, but does anyone know why my "own page" (that is "Jan Galkowski") might be locked at the Wiki? I wanted to update it and I can't. Didn't know where else to place this. Please remove after answer.

Hi Jan, it can't be truly locked, as the software doesn't support locking. Any message about a page being "locked" is a just a soft warning that somebody else has recently opened the page in edit mode. You should be able to override that warning and save the page.

What happens is that spiders crawling the web will sometimes open the page in edit mode (fortunately they don't save), so sometimes you'll see that locked message. The "locking" times out after a few minutes.

Comment Source:Hi Jan, it can't be truly locked, as the software doesn't support locking. Any message about a page being "locked" is a just a soft warning that somebody else has recently opened the page in edit mode. You should be able to override that warning and save the page. What happens is that spiders crawling the web will sometimes open the page in edit mode (fortunately they don't save), so sometimes you'll see that locked message. The "locking" times out after a few minutes.

Last time I edited the wiki was on December 7, when I added a reference

• Lou Jost, Entropy and diversity, Oikos 113:2 (2006) 363-375 doi

in the article biodiversity. My memory is that I encountered no problems at the time. Pressed the edit button and edited. Now I see no edit button, if I produce edit page by typing in URL it opens but then there is no save button nor place to write the contributor signature. I am logged on $n$Forum and do not understand why S5 button gives at wiki AnonymousCoward response. Last time I edited from the same computer and browser; I edit $n$Lab with similar software o the daily basis and the browser responds always by putting my signature into the form created by instiki. I have not being much active in recent couple of years so I do not know what happened. Is wiki active, is there some new place for additional login or whatever ?

I wanted to put some references today related to evidence for determining ENSO historical time series. It was about effects of volcanos on guano bird population, in some global cases thought to be indirect via its effect on ENSO, but influence of volcanos on phytoplankton population seem to be never related to it in historical events. Maybe it is too small effect (that it affects in opposite direction: helps fish) but in major iron enhancement events it may bring oxygen depletion because of excess overall plankton sedimentation into deeper layers of the sea. But are there major iron enhancements, or volcanos can not spread enough iron from dust into a wider area of the sea.

Comment Source:Last time I edited the wiki was on December 7, when I added a reference * Lou Jost, _Entropy and diversity_, Oikos 113:2 (2006) 363-375 [doi]( https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2006.0030-1299.14714.x) in the article [[biodiversity]]. My memory is that I encountered no problems at the time. Pressed the edit button and edited. Now I see no edit button, if I produce edit page by typing in URL it opens but then there is no save button nor place to write the contributor signature. I am logged on $n$Forum and do not understand why S5 button gives at wiki AnonymousCoward response. Last time I edited from the same computer and browser; I edit $n$Lab with similar software o the daily basis and the browser responds always by putting my signature into the form created by instiki. I have not being much active in recent couple of years so I do not know what happened. Is wiki active, is there some new place for additional login or whatever ? I wanted to put some references today related to evidence for determining ENSO historical time series. It was about effects of volcanos on guano bird population, in some global cases thought to be indirect via its effect on ENSO, but influence of volcanos on phytoplankton population seem to be never related to it in historical events. Maybe it is too small effect (that it affects in opposite direction: helps fish) but in major iron enhancement events it may bring oxygen depletion because of excess overall plankton sedimentation into deeper layers of the sea. But are there major iron enhancements, or volcanos can not spread enough iron from dust into a wider area of the sea.

@zskoda there have been some problems with spam on the wiki, and presently I don't have the bandwidth to deal with this. So I put it in a read-only mode.

As a work around, you can describe any changes that you want made right in this thread. I will apply them, with your signature, when I get the chance, and will then notify you here.

Comment Source:@zskoda there have been some problems with spam on the wiki, and presently I don't have the bandwidth to deal with this. So I put it in a read-only mode. As a work around, you can describe any changes that you want made right in this thread. I will apply them, with your signature, when I get the chance, and will then notify you here.

What I see when I try to edit my profile page

What I see when I try to edit my profile page.

Comment Source:![What I see when I try to edit my profile page](https://user.fm/files/v2-a171f746e0a22bd281f7b11b4341f281/lock_2021-02-08_202647.jpg) What I see when I try to edit my profile page.

Hi Jan, sent you a DM about this.

Comment Source:Hi Jan, sent you a DM about this.
    nad
    edited February 15

"Removed one article on German tax laws in 2013, as it's pretty dated and remote in topic." (comment 1.)

David-I understand that you "run" the wiki (and the forum?) so you are the boss here, but I think it would be good to at least notify people if you throw something away.

Comment Source:"Removed one article on German tax laws in 2013, as it's pretty dated and remote in topic." (comment 1.) David-I understand that you "run" the wiki (and the forum?) so you are the boss here, but I think it would be good to at least notify people if you throw something away.

Fair enough. I had thought that you hadn't been active here for many years, but on closer examination I see that you have been commenting from time to time. (There have been some gaps in my following of the forum.) Going forward I will post notifications in advance here. Best

Comment Source:Fair enough. I had thought that you hadn't been active here for many years, but on closer examination I see that you have been commenting from time to time. (There have been some gaps in my following of the forum.) Going forward I will post notifications in advance here. Best
    nad
    edited February 17

My last post on John's blog was in 2017 and I on and of look whether there are new developments in solar observations. As you can see at my last remark things currently do not look good there. On top of that there have been severe droughts in Berlin/Brandenburg for the last 3 years and unfortunately as a rather vague impression . the causes might be similar to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1540_European_drought and eventually to assumed droughts in the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migration_Period. On top of that Tesla wants to set up a giant factory which sits not only basically in a drinking water reservoir but which would suck out immense amounts of ground water currently about the amount of 60000 people. The Tax article was not dated, and I think this was not only about german tax laws but also about greek tax laws and how there exists different schemes involving quantizations and hurdles) and partially what impact they can have. I think this topic is very import in all sustainability discussions, but as said you are the boss. Anyways apart from the irradiance thread I currently simply can't afford to look any much further into Azimuth forum discussions and so I unfortunately might also not see if you post a deletion alert. I tried to supplement my Wiki page with my email adress but I can't edit it anymore. My email is nad AND THEN ATSIGN daytar and then DOT AND THEN de. It would be nice if you would let me know via email if you delete something. Thanks.

Comment Source:My last post on John's blog <a href="https://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/2017/01/14/solar-irradiance-measurements/">was in 2017</a> and I on and of look whether there are new developments in solar observations. As you can see at my last remark <a href="https://forum.azimuthproject.org/discussion/comment/22715/#Comment_22715">things currently do not look good there.</a> On top of that there have been severe droughts in Berlin/Brandenburg for the last 3 years and unfortunately as a rather vague impression . the causes might be similar to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1540_European_drought and eventually to assumed droughts in the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migration_Period. On top of that Tesla wants to set up a giant factory which sits not only basically in a drinking water reservoir but which would suck out immense amounts of ground water currently about the amount of 60000 people. The Tax article was not dated, and I think this was not only about german tax laws but also about greek tax laws and how there exists different schemes involving quantizations and hurdles) and partially what impact they can have. I think this topic is very import in all sustainability discussions, but as said you are the boss. Anyways apart from the irradiance thread I currently simply can't afford to look any much further into Azimuth forum discussions and so I unfortunately might also not see if you post a deletion alert. I tried to supplement my Wiki page with my email adress but I can't edit it anymore. My email is nad AND THEN ATSIGN daytar and then DOT AND THEN de. It would be nice if you would let me know via email if you delete something. Thanks.
    edited February 17

Nad: "it would be good to at least notify people if you throw something away."

Irreversible editorial deletion is rather extreme, although net-bots tend to eventually preserve public content. Moving unloved content to a public scrapyard file, where it might be resurrected, is safer. This also relieves any burden-to-inform. I have lost content here without notice or back-up. Benjamin is often invoked when erasure is the context-

http://libcom.org/library/destructive-character-walter-benjamin

Computer memory once was precious, now its cheap.

Comment Source:Nad: "it would be good to at least notify people if you throw something away." Irreversible editorial deletion is rather extreme, although net-bots tend to eventually preserve public content. Moving unloved content to a public scrapyard file, where it might be resurrected, is safer. This also relieves any burden-to-inform. I have lost content here without notice or back-up. Benjamin is often invoked when erasure is the context- http://libcom.org/library/destructive-character-walter-benjamin Computer memory once was precious, now its cheap.

Dave - Do you suggest that David Tanzer had moved the Tax law text to some scrapyard file? On Azimuth?

According to this abstract Benjamin mentioned in a letter to Scholem that a guy called Gustav Glück (with a grain of salt) matches the description in the "destructive Character":

[...] Mein nächster Umgang ist seit ungefähr einem Jahr Gustav Glück, Direktor der Auslandsabteilung der Reichskreditgesellschaft, von dem Du eine Art Porträtabriß - cum grano salis zu verstehen - in dem "Destruktiven Charakter" findest, den ich Dir übersandte. Du erwähntest ihn nicht?" (GB IV, 61 f.).

It is strange though that the abstract writer Maria Theresa Costa thinks this explicit connection is not clear:

Dass es sich tatsächlich um ein Portrait eines Freundes von Karl Kraus handelt, kann nicht mit Gewissheit angenommen werden.

May be she confused Gustav Glück and Franz Glück.

Comment Source:Dave - Do you suggest that David Tanzer had moved the Tax law text to some scrapyard file? On Azimuth? According to this <a href="http://publikationen.ub.uni-frankfurt.de/frontdoor/index/index/year/2016/docId/42106">abstract</a> Benjamin mentioned in a letter to Scholem that a guy called <a href="https://www.onb.ac.at/bibliothek/sammlungen/literatur/bestaende/personen/glueck-gustav-1902-1973#collapse48212">Gustav Glück</a> (with a grain of salt) matches the description in the "destructive Character": >[...] Mein nächster Umgang ist seit ungefähr einem Jahr Gustav Glück, Direktor der Auslandsabteilung der Reichskreditgesellschaft, von dem Du eine Art Porträtabriß - cum grano salis zu verstehen - in dem "Destruktiven Charakter" findest, den ich Dir übersandte. Du erwähntest ihn nicht?" (GB IV, 61 f.). It is strange though that the abstract writer Maria Theresa Costa thinks this explicit connection is not clear: >Dass es sich tatsächlich um ein Portrait eines Freundes von Karl Kraus handelt, kann nicht mit Gewissheit angenommen werden. May be she confused Gustav Glück and <a href="https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Gl%C3%BCck">Franz Glück.</a>

Nad, there is no scrap yard. There are some older backups which I may be able to recover the article from. If this matters to you, send me a DM with some search query for the title, and I will restore it to another database and do my best to recover it.

Comment Source:Nad, there is no scrap yard. There are some older backups which I may be able to recover the article from. If this matters to you, send me a DM with some search query for the title, and I will restore it to another database and do my best to recover it.

David, as written in comment 15. I think those taxation things are a difficult and important problem. I have though blog posts on our blog about the german and greek taxes, those may be a bit less concise as the Azimuth-Wiki post was, but if people want they can read about it there. I had summarized my blog posts for Azimuth back then, because there were some sustainability discussions on Azimuth where this topic could have matched the overall discussions - at least thats what I thought back then. But things have meanwhile changed, so no need to recover them. I tried to think which of my Azimuthwiki-posts I would like to keep and I currently think it is one page which Tim van Beek and me had mostly edited which is about interactive graphics software. I would like to keep that and I haven't copied it yet. I just tried to copy it, but unfortunately it seems the certificate on www.azimuthproject.org had expired, so I can't access the site right now. Concerning the forum - I wanted to copy the comments I made there, but I haven't managed yet. Please let me know if there is any urgency concerning the forum.

Comment Source:David, as written in comment 15. I think those taxation things are a difficult and important problem. I have though blog posts on our blog about the german and greek taxes, those may be a bit less concise as the Azimuth-Wiki post was, but if people want they can read about it there. I had summarized my blog posts for Azimuth back then, because there were some sustainability discussions on Azimuth where this topic could have matched the overall discussions - at least thats what I thought back then. But things have meanwhile changed, so no need to recover them. I tried to think which of my Azimuthwiki-posts I would like to keep and I currently think it is one page which Tim van Beek and me had mostly edited which is about interactive graphics software. I would like to keep that and I haven't copied it yet. I just tried to copy it, but unfortunately it seems the certificate on www.azimuthproject.org had expired, so I can't access the site right now. Concerning the forum - I wanted to copy the comments I made there, but I haven't managed yet. Please let me know if there is any urgency concerning the forum.

Hi Nad, ok, thanks for the clarifications. There no urgency concerning the forum, and I am not presently trying to do any housekeeping on the wiki. It was only by coincidence that the certificate on the wiki just expired. I am doing things like trying to find a job these days, but still am supporting the forum. Will let you know when the certificate is back. Best

Comment Source:Hi Nad, ok, thanks for the clarifications. There no urgency concerning the forum, and I am not presently trying to do any housekeeping on the wiki. It was only by coincidence that the certificate on the wiki just expired. I am doing things like trying to find a job these days, but still am supporting the forum. Will let you know when the certificate is back. Best
    nad
    edited February 21

David, a priori, what you are doing by house keeping the wiki and forum is a kind of community service, i.e. it can be regarded as a kind of tax relativ to the group of (former) Azimuthers (however if you throw things out without asking this might not be seen as such....) and the work done in Azimuth can be seen as a community service to the group of scientists (however it seems it is not regarded as such....) and if one assumes that scientists work mostly for the public good (this is increasingly also not seen as such.....) then your contribution would also be a kind of "tax" with respect to the public (Here the international public though). It is just no monetary tax.

I also have to look for a job and I actually had and still have problems with the german social security tax system, I even wrote a petition back in 2012 regarding that. In Germany if you are setting up your own business you have to pay 4.837.50 €* 19.325 % = 934.847 € health insurance per month -regardless what your income is. So this image is actually wrong, because if one earns 10000 € a year then this is 10000/12 €=833,33€ a month and thus your "percentage contribution" is 934.847/10000times12=112%. I would replace the image if I wouldn't need to look for an income.

If you are employed then there is a minimum wage which is 9,35 € times 40 times 4=1496 € i.e. 17952 € a year and you have to pay 14% which is 251.328 €. Quite a difference so to say.

The main reason for this policy is that if you do not have this "hurdle" for businesses then there is a danger that people would set up their hobby as a job, with which they may not earn enough money to adequately pay into the social security system plus there may be not enough workers for the necessary tasks. I mean it is clear that if everybody would make money by posing on lets say for example TikTok or Azimuth then eventually nobody would clean toilets, care for the elderly etc.

So back in 2015 I didn't set up my business but became an employee. But frankly the job made me sick.

Comment Source:David, a priori, what you are doing by house keeping the wiki and forum is a kind of community service, i.e. it can be regarded as a kind of tax relativ to the group of (former) Azimuthers (however if you throw things out without asking this might not be seen as such....) and the work done in Azimuth can be seen as a community service to the group of scientists (however it seems it is not regarded as such....) and if one assumes that scientists work mostly for the public good (this is increasingly also not seen as such.....) then your contribution would also be a kind of "tax" with respect to the public (Here the international public though). It is just no monetary tax. I also have to look for a job and I actually had and still have problems with the german social security tax system, I even wrote a petition back in 2012 regarding that. In Germany if you are setting up your own business you have to pay <a href="https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beitragsbemessungsgrenze">4.837.50 €</a>* 19.325 % = 934.847 € health insurance per month -regardless what your income is. So this <a href="https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beitragsbemessungsgrenze#/media/Datei:BBG2.jpg">image</a> is actually wrong, because if one earns 10000 € a year then this is 10000/12 €=833,33€ a month and thus your "percentage contribution" is 934.847/10000times12=112%. I would replace the image if I wouldn't need to look for an income. If you are employed then there is a minimum wage which is 9,35 € times 40 times 4=1496 € i.e. 17952 € a year and you have to pay 14% which is 251.328 €. Quite a difference so to say. The main reason for this policy is that if you do not have this "hurdle" for businesses then there is a danger that people would set up their hobby as a job, with which they may not earn enough money to adequately pay into the social security system plus there may be not enough workers for the necessary tasks. I mean it is clear that if everybody would make money by posing on lets say for example TikTok or Azimuth then eventually nobody would clean toilets, care for the elderly etc. So back in 2015 I didn't set up my business but became an employee. But frankly the job made me sick.

The new certificate is in place.

Comment Source:The new certificate is in place.