Options

Daubechies wavelet

And a stub for the Daubechies wavelet. A famous quote of Yves Meyer, one of the founding fathers of wavelet theory, that there are as many wavelets as there are signals, because for every signal there is an optimal wavelet.

I wonder what the optimal wavelet is for time series in climate science.

Comments

Since climate science is incredibly complicated, I bet the answer to your question is incredibly complicated. So, there's probably not just one optimal wavelet for all time series in climate science.

Comment Source:Since climate science is incredibly complicated, I bet the answer to your question is incredibly complicated. So, there's probably not just _one_ optimal wavelet for all time series in climate science.
    Then climate scientists should perhaps try different wavelets or explain why they chose a special one when they did that :-)
    Comment Source:Then climate scientists should perhaps try different wavelets or explain why they chose a special one when they did that :-)
    edited December 2010

I agree! I have no idea how many of them really understand wavelets. I imagine not many.

(I don't either, so this is not intended as any sort of insult.)

(Even if I did, it wouldn't be intended as an insult.)

Comment Source:I agree! I have no idea how many of them really understand wavelets. I imagine not many. (I don't either, so this is not intended as any sort of insult.) (Even if I _did_, it wouldn't be intended as an insult.)