Options

McKeown's comments on biochar

Jesse McKeown added some important basic information about photosynthesis to the page on Carbon negative energy. I tried to incorporate his idea into a clearer discussion of biofuels versus biochar. However, this article is still very much a stub... we need detailed figures about the carbon footprint of biofuels versus biochar — or at the very least, links to such figures.

Having addressed Jesse's point to some extent, I deleted his query box. Please don't take that as some sort of attack, Jesse! These query boxes should come and go quite rapidly; there's probably something new that's questionable about this article, requiring some new query boxes, but the comment you'd written would look a bit mysterious now.

Also, Jesse: to get your name to look nice on the Azimuth Project, you alas need to put a backslash before "McKeown", because that word is a "camel case" word — read the stuff that's visible at the bottom right when editing any Azimuth Project page. I'm sorry about this: I don't really like that "feature" of Instiki; it's never done anything but cause me trouble.

I see there's already a thread here about "mixed case surnames".

Comments

Note: I think Andrew offered to turn off the "camel case" stuff for you. If you don't like it, just say the word and it will be gone.

Comment Source:Note: I think Andrew offered to turn off the "camel case" stuff for you. If you don't like it, just say the word and it will be gone.

I HATE CAMELS!

Comment Source:I HATE CAMELS!

Camels have feelings too you know :)

Comment Source:Camels have feelings too you know :)

I'm interpreting that as a request to turn off Camel Case on the wiki so I've done it. This does mean that any pages with Camel Case words now need a little attention from Lab Elves. Either a CamelCase word was intended to produce a link, in which case it no longer does, or a CamelCase word was escaped to prevent it producing a link, in which case it now appears as "\CamelCase". I don't know of a good way to search for such (the instiki search is case-insensitive, I think).

(As a point of order, please make requests for features and stuff clear. If I'm not sure if it's a genuine request or simply a wail of frustration, then I'll tend not to do anything to avoid doing the wrong thing.)

Comment Source:I'm interpreting that as a request to turn off Camel Case on the wiki so I've done it. This does mean that any pages with Camel Case words now need a little attention from Lab Elves. Either a CamelCase word was _intended_ to produce a link, in which case it no longer does, or a CamelCase word was escaped to _prevent_ it producing a link, in which case it now appears as "\CamelCase". I don't know of a good way to search for such (the instiki search is case-insensitive, I think). (As a point of order, please make requests for features and stuff clear. If I'm not sure if it's a genuine request or simply a wail of frustration, then I'll tend not to do anything to avoid doing the wrong thing.)
    edited October 2010

Thanks, Andrew! Sorry for phrasing my request as a joke. You interpreted it correctly.

And yes, now we need to eliminate a few backslashes. I got one already.

Comment Source:Thanks, Andrew! Sorry for phrasing my request as a joke. You interpreted it correctly. And yes, now we need to eliminate a few backslashes. I got one already.

Thinking further, it might be a good idea to have a top-level "Technical" category for anything that needs such attention. Even on the nForum I don't have time to read every comment in every discussion so people there have gotten in to the habit of starting new discussions to draw my attention to something technical. (This category would cover both the Azimuth forum and the wiki)

Comment Source:Thinking further, it might be a good idea to have a top-level "Technical" category for anything that needs such attention. Even on the nForum I don't have time to read every comment in every discussion so people there have gotten in to the habit of starting new discussions to draw my attention to something technical. (This category would cover both the Azimuth forum and the wiki)

Andrew wrote:

Thinking further, it might be a good idea to have a top-level "Technical" category for anything that needs such attention.

Okay, I'll create it now. I expect (and hope) that the discussions here will soon grow to the point where you won't be able to keep up with every comment!

Comment Source:Andrew wrote: >Thinking further, it might be a good idea to have a top-level "Technical" category for anything that needs such attention. Okay, I'll create it now. I expect (and hope) that the discussions here will soon grow to the point where you won't be able to keep up with every comment!