Options

Tree of life, internal wiki links, signing in with IE

Possibly I should start 3 discussions.... I have just added a wiki page on the Tree of life. I intend to add some more to it. I also added a stub Photosynthesis, but couldn't get the former to link to the latter.

When I try signing in here using IE, I can't. Nothing happens when I click "sign in". It works with Google Chrome. Weel, it did once.

Comments

The lack of link was due to capitalisation: you created Photosynthesis but then tried to link to "photosynthesis". I put a redirect on the page so that both [[Photosynthesis]] and [[photosynthesis]] point to that page.

IE here needs MathPlayer at the moment. It's on my TODO list to fix this, but as the software was originally designed for a bunch of mathematicians, requiring that they install MathPlayer to use it with IE wasn't seen as a large impediment. All other browers (as far as I'm aware) correctly support XHTML.

Comment Source:The lack of link was due to capitalisation: you created [[Photosynthesis]] but then tried to link to "photosynthesis". I put a redirect on the page so that both \[[Photosynthesis]] and \[[photosynthesis]] point to that page. IE here needs MathPlayer at the moment. It's on my TODO list to fix this, but as the software was originally designed for a bunch of mathematicians, requiring that they install MathPlayer to use it with IE wasn't seen as a large impediment. All other browers (as far as I'm aware) correctly support XHTML.
    Thanks! I haven't figured out redirects yet.

I have MathPlayer. I think it is php pages that IE doesn't like. There are two "sign in" links - one an underlined piece of text at the top - that does not seem to work with IE. The "sign in" button at the left seems fine (I didn't notice that earlier.)
    Comment Source:Thanks! I haven't figured out redirects yet. I have MathPlayer. I think it is php pages that IE doesn't like. There are two "sign in" links - one an underlined piece of text at the top - that does not seem to work with IE. The "sign in" button at the left seems fine (I didn't notice that earlier.)
    edited October 2010

Graham: redirects aren't hard - if you want the link [[dead zone]] to take you to the page called Dead zone, just go to the page called Dead zone and at the bottom type

[[!redirects dead zone]]

(In fact this has already been done, in this example.)

Alternatively, you can always create a link like [[Dead zone|dead zone]], which will look like dead zone but take the reader to Dead zone.

For more, see Redirect.

It's a bummer that IE doesn't work smoothly - lots of people still use that. The technically minded among us should try to tackle this problem by some mixture of wizardry and making it easy for people to discover what they need to do. The HomePage should lead the naive user to the solutions to their web browser woes.

Comment Source:Graham: redirects aren't hard - if you want the link `[[dead zone]]` to take you to the page called [[Dead zone]], just go to the page called [[Dead zone]] and at the bottom type `[[!redirects dead zone]]` (In fact this has already been done, in this example.) Alternatively, you can always create a link like `[[Dead zone|dead zone]]`, which will look like [[dead zone]] but take the reader to [[Dead zone]]. For more, see [[Redirect]]. It's a bummer that IE doesn't work smoothly - lots of people still use that. The technically minded among us should try to tackle this problem by some mixture of wizardry and making it easy for people to discover what they need to do. The [[HomePage]] should lead the naive user to the solutions to their web browser woes.

The IE problem is here on the forum (as far as I understand), not on the wiki.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the login link. The browser shouldn't care about the php since that is server-side, not client-side. (Un)fortunately, I don't have easy access to a machine running IE so it's hard for me to test it.

Comment Source:The IE problem is here on the forum (as far as I understand), not on the wiki. I'm not sure what the problem is with the login link. The browser shouldn't care about the php since that is server-side, not client-side. (Un)fortunately, I don't have easy access to a machine running IE so it's hard for me to test it.