Options

Interesting blog entries

I thought some might find the blog entry, A Fermi Problem in Western Pennsylvania, from statistician Cosma Shalizi interesting if you don't already follow his blog Three-Toed Sloth.

In particular, he comments on the relationship between symmetry breaking in physics and the way that cities are arranged and the optimal use of scarce resources and specialized labor. This may become relevant down the road as we start to rethink the way that goods are produced to reduce transportation costs. Besides, he's often quite interesting and fun to read.

Comments

edited January 2011

Another interesting blog entry is Social Capital and Collaborative Consumption from Leigh Drogen a financial consultant and investment manager who specializes in social media. The video in the post is also worth watching and relevant to saving the world.

I believe that collaborative consumption, essentially organized sharing of resources to replace ownership, will become an important way to maintain lifestyles while reducing our resource requirements.

This is probably a good topic for a Wiki page if there isn't one already.

Comment Source:Another interesting blog entry is [Social Capital and Collaborative Consumption](http://leighdrogen.com/social-capital-and-collaborative-consumption/) from [Leigh Drogen](http://leighdrogen.com/) a financial consultant and investment manager who specializes in social media. The video in the post is also worth watching and relevant to saving the world. I believe that collaborative consumption, essentially organized sharing of resources to replace ownership, will become an important way to maintain lifestyles while reducing our resource requirements. This is probably a good topic for a Wiki page if there isn't one already.

Alas, I'm too busy to read these, right this second! And now that I've read this article, it's marked as read, which deprives me of a useful permanent reminder...

If you stick links on the wiki, there's a greater chance that I (and perhaps lots of other people) will someday get around to it!

Comment Source:Alas, I'm too busy to read these, right this second! And now that I've read this article, it's marked as read, which deprives me of a useful permanent reminder... If you stick links on the wiki, there's a greater chance that I (and perhaps lots of other people) will someday get around to it!

Good idea. I'll search for the right spot and add them.

Comment Source:Good idea. I'll search for the right spot and add them.

One easy option is Recommended reading; better but more work is to figure out what page these blog entries really belong on.

Recommended reading is a good holding area for stuff that we haven't sorted out yet. See something cool that people should read? Stick it on Recommended reading.

Comment Source:One easy option is [[Recommended reading]]; better but more work is to figure out what page these blog entries really belong on. [[Recommended reading]] is a good holding area for stuff that we haven't sorted out yet. See something cool that people should read? Stick it on [[Recommended reading]].