Options

Terminology: Azimuth Project, Azimuth Library, etc.

The king has an announcement to make:

I hereby decree that Azimuth Project refers to the overall project we're engaged in. This includes various components, such as:

• The Azimuth Blog, also known informally as Azimuth, for short.

• The Azimuth Library, a collection of articles on various subjects, kept on our wiki. This collection of articles used to be called the Azimuth Project, but I agree with Curtis Faith that this is a bit confusing. The overall project and the collection of articles deserve separate names.

• The Azimuth Code Project.

The Azimuth Project and the aforementioned components are to be written with the first letter of each word capitalized, as above.

Okay, you may now disperse.

Comments

edited January 2011

By the way, there's still a slight potential ambiguity: what's the name for our wiki?

Is it the Azimuth Library, the Azimuth Project, or neither?

I think that currently, the wiki is almost the same as the Azimuth Library. But we could wind up doing other stuff with the wiki, too! If this distinction ever becomes important, we can call the wiki the Azimuth Wiki.

(I think it's good to use Azimuth Project for the overall project.)

I know all this sounds ridiculously bureaucratic.

Comment Source:By the way, there's still a slight potential ambiguity: what's the name for our wiki? Is it the Azimuth Library, the Azimuth Project, or neither? I think that currently, the wiki is almost the same as the Azimuth Library. But we could wind up doing other stuff with the wiki, too! If this distinction ever becomes important, we can call the wiki the **Azimuth Wiki**. (I think it's good to use Azimuth Project for the _overall project_.) I know all this sounds ridiculously bureaucratic.

There are a few things on the wiki - 'experiments' and blogs-in-preparation - which are not in the Library. I think this distinction is important, even if the wiki is 99% library.

Comment Source:There are a few things on the wiki - 'experiments' and blogs-in-preparation - which are not in the Library. I think this distinction is important, even if the wiki is 99% library.

The fool urges the King to order his Wizard to update the categories here on the Forum: there is still "Project" which should become "Wiki".

Comment Source:The fool urges the King to order his Wizard to update the categories here on the Forum: there is still "Project" which should become "Wiki".

Or Library

Comment Source:Or Library

Graham wrote:

There are a few things on the wiki - 'experiments' and blogs-in-preparation - which are not in the Library. I think this distinction is important, even if the wiki is 99% library.

Right. And since these 'few things' are quite new, we can expect there to be more in the future.

The fool urges the King to order his Wizard to update the categories here on the Forum: there is still "Project" which should become "Wiki".

Thanks! This king likes to be his own fool, but even a fool of a king needs good advice.

Comment Source:Graham wrote: > There are a few things on the wiki - 'experiments' and blogs-in-preparation - which are not in the Library. I think this distinction is important, even if the wiki is 99% library. Right. And since these 'few things' are quite new, we can expect there to be more in the future. > The fool urges the King to order his Wizard to update the categories here on the Forum: there is still "Project" which should become "Wiki". Thanks! This king likes to be his own fool, but even a fool of a king needs good advice.
    edited January 2011

i think it works. let us see and remember my wise warning:

anything we do to lessen the threat of overstructuring would only lead while it lasted to an even greater production of unstructured wiki pages, such is the human nature :-)

a paraphrase from James Lovelock The Revenge of Gaia, which i was reading in // to MacKay. Its on p.166 and a rebuttal on several ideas on geoengineering ;

economist Awerbush wisely warned that anything we did to lessen the threat of global warming would only lead, while it lasted, to an even greater burning of fossil fuel, such is human nature

Comment Source:i think it works. let us see and remember my wise warning: anything we do to lessen the threat of overstructuring would only lead while it lasted to an even greater production of unstructured wiki pages, such is the human nature :-) a paraphrase from James Lovelock The Revenge of Gaia, which i was reading in // to MacKay. Its on p.166 and a rebuttal on several ideas on [[geoengineering]] ; > economist Awerbush wisely warned that anything we did to lessen the threat of global warming would only lead, while it lasted, to an even greater burning of fossil fuel, such is human nature