Options

Linking convention for multiple identical references

In the discussion of the global warming page, the question of the proper way to handle multiple identical references came up. I wanted to start a separate discussion in the correct "Conventions and Policies" category so others who may not be following that other thread can help answer the question.

Consider the introductory overview paragraph for that page:

Current-day global warming is sometimes called anthropogenic (due to human causes) global warming because it is caused by the increase in carbon emissions and other greenhouse gases from burning fossil fuels; deforestation; agriculture; and other human activity. In a process known as the "greenhouse effect", greenhouse gases in the atmosphere—which are largely transparent to the higher-frequency radiation from the Sun—re-radiate back towards the Earth a portion of the lower-frequency infrared radiation emitted by the warm surface of the planet. This makes the Earth's temperature much higher than it would be without greenhouse gases. The planet's temperature is regulated by the concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, so an increase in greenhouse gas concentration will cause an increase in global average annual temperature. Therefore one of the major efforts to combat global warming is the effort to reduce net greenhouse gas emissions.

The reference greenhouse gas appears very many times in the above paragraph. Here in the forum, it looks pretty awful to have so many references for the same term. It doesn't look as bad on the wiki itself, see: Global warming. But it is still a bit ugly and tedious.

Should there be a general convention for these repeated references?

Should we link to all the occurrences? Only the first one in a paragraph? Only the first one in a page?

Comments

In the global warming thread, John Baez wrote:

Curtis wrote:

What is the standard for treating wiki references, like greenhouse gas above, that appear very many times in the text?

I suggest:

In general it's enough to provide a link the first time and not the rest. But if there's a huge amount of text between successive times a term is used, it may be polite to provide more than one link.

This seems like a good convention to me. Try to be helpful but not obtrusive.

Comment Source:In the global warming thread, John Baez wrote: >Curtis wrote: >> What is the standard for treating wiki references, like [[greenhouse gas]] above, that appear very many times in the text? >I suggest: >In general it's enough to provide a link the first time and not the rest. But if there's a huge amount of text between successive times a term is used, it may be polite to provide more than one link. This seems like a good convention to me. Try to be helpful but not obtrusive.