Options

Anecdotes, jokes, memorabilia and catchwords

One feature that I very much like are anecdotes or jokes or the like about the topic at hand, in books as well as in lectures. The best ones make you think about an important topic that most people would miss otherwise, like

John von Neumann to Werner Heisenberg: "QM has lead to beautiful mathematics, but we mathematicians payed back by noticing such important concepts like the difference of selfadjoint and symmetric operators".

Werner Heisenberg: "What is the difference?"

From time to time I'd like to include an anecdote like this on the Wiki, I added one on the page Random number generator. Any opinions? Do you like it?

Comments

It's a nice quote, but it's extremely prominent on that page. I like quotes, but I would suggest to put them in a separate section at the bottom of the page, so that they don't distract the reader from the more relevant information.

Did you ever read Cvitanovic et al's ChaosBook?

Comment Source:It's a nice quote, but it's extremely prominent on that page. I like quotes, but I would suggest to put them in a separate section at the bottom of the page, so that they don't distract the reader from the more relevant information. Did you ever read Cvitanovic *et al*'s [ChaosBook](http://chaosbook.org/)?

The RNG quote reminds me of this xkcd comic.

Comment Source:The RNG quote reminds me of <a href="http://xkcd.com/221/">this xkcd comic</a>.

No, why?

I would suggest to put them in a separate section at the bottom of the page, so that they don't distract the reader from the more relevant information.

Done, so we could have on some pages a separate section "Quotes".

Comment Source:<blockquote> <p> Did you ever read Cvitanovic et al's ChaosBook? </p> </blockquote> No, why? <blockquote> <p> I would suggest to put them in a separate section at the bottom of the page, so that they don't distract the reader from the more relevant information. </p> </blockquote> Done, so we could have on some pages a separate section "Quotes".

Nathan said:

The RNG quote reminds me of this xkcd comic.

Yes, that is also a good reference, to get people thinking about randomness etc. But my quote is more fun.

Comment Source:Nathan said: <blockquote> <p> The RNG quote reminds me of this xkcd comic. </p> </blockquote> Yes, that is also a good reference, to get people thinking about randomness etc. But my quote is more fun.

Tim replied to:

No, why?

it's one of the funniest physics books I have read, partly because of the huge amount of quotes.

Comment Source:Tim replied to: > > Did you ever read Cvitanovic et al's ChaosBook? > No, why? it's one of the funniest physics books I have read, partly because of the huge amount of quotes.

Thanks for pointing that book out to me: although it seems to work with analytically tractable models, it's quite interesting.

Comment Source:Thanks for pointing that book out to me: although it seems to work with analytically tractable models, it's quite interesting.