Options

Thorium

Comments

edited April 2011

Due to your entry I started to wonder how feasible Thorium technology currently is.

So I've got some small questions related to your comment:

The first thorium reactor is built in India (wikipedia: Kakrapar_Atomic_Power_Station).

But from the Wikipedia page on Thorium it rather seems that:

India's Kakrapar-1 reactor is the world's first reactor which uses thorium rather than depleted uranium to achieve power flattening across the reactor core.

But, indeed

India [...] is developing a 300 MW prototype of a thorium-based Advanced Heavy Water Reactor (AHWR)

Do you know if it will be built at the same site? According to wikipedia Akrapar III and IV are PHWR too. Will their core be Thorium based? (I don't know, Wikipedia's not really clear about this and I thought that PHWR were used with Uranium)

Comment Source:Due to your entry I started to wonder how feasible Thorium technology currently is. So I've got some small questions related to your comment: > The first thorium reactor is built in India (wikipedia: Kakrapar_Atomic_Power_Station). But from the Wikipedia page on [Thorium](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium) it rather seems that: > India's Kakrapar-1 reactor is the world's first reactor which uses thorium rather than depleted uranium to achieve power flattening across the reactor core. But, indeed > India [...] is developing a 300 MW prototype of a thorium-based Advanced Heavy Water Reactor ([AHWR](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Heavy_Water_Reactor)) Do you know if it will be built at the same site? According to wikipedia Akrapar III and IV are PHWR too. Will their core be Thorium based? (I don't know, Wikipedia's not really clear about this and I thought that PHWR were used with Uranium)

Hi, Zoran! Nice to see you here. We should really think a lot about thorium reactors...

Comment Source:Hi, Zoran! Nice to see you here. We should really think a lot about thorium reactors...

Ad 2 -- Frederik, thanks for noting the subtlety; India has big plans about the thorium reactors. As you noted the Kakrapar-1 uses thorium just for a side process, not for the core process, thanks for correcting; we should explain the difference. Ad 3 -- John, thanks for the encouragement; I was a bit negative recently in another discussion that the thorium is not a solution to the fission waste problems and energy in long term, but really accepting it for those countries which anyway chose a nuclear strategy in mid-term (next 20-50 years) like China and India, improving the odds and process by factor of 2 in efficiency and more in the minimizng the waste, is really very significant. China is now building 100 classical nuclear plants, one good decision in their ministries could improve the odds in safety etc. a lot.

Comment Source:Ad 2 -- Frederik, thanks for noting the subtlety; India has big plans about the thorium reactors. As you noted the Kakrapar-1 uses thorium just for a side process, not for the core process, thanks for correcting; we should explain the difference. Ad 3 -- John, thanks for the encouragement; I was a bit negative recently in another discussion that the thorium is not a solution to the fission waste problems and energy in long term, but really accepting it for those countries which anyway chose a nuclear strategy in mid-term (next 20-50 years) like China and India, improving the odds and process by factor of 2 in efficiency and more in the minimizng the waste, is really very significant. China is now building 100 classical nuclear plants, one good decision in their ministries could improve the odds in safety etc. a lot.