Options

MMOGEP - Games for Change

I edited a page called MMOGEP - Massive MultiPlayer Online Games for economical and political changes at

MMOGEP

containing the game proposal Utopia at

Utopia

Comments

edited April 2011

Great, Nadja! This seems like a wonderful idea.

I've edited the page to make the English a bit nicer. For example, in English 'economical' means 'cheap'. You mean 'economic' change. And 'change' doesn't really need a plural here; the singular is better even if different possible changes are being discussed.

As Frederik noticed, this page is not really a Plan of action in the sense we mean it: a specific proposal for how to deal with energy production, climate change, etc. It's what we call an 'experiment' - a project that one of us here at the Azimuth Forum is working on. So, I've added it to our list of Experiments.

Also, since the acronym 'MMOGEP' is not something people are likely to search for until this plan becomes famous, I've changed the title of the page to:

Experiments in massive multiplayer online games for economic and political change

You can still reach it via MMOGEP, though!

Comment Source:Great, Nadja! This seems like a **wonderful** idea. I've edited the page to make the English a bit nicer. For example, in English 'economical' means 'cheap'. You mean 'economic' change. And 'change' doesn't really need a plural here; the singular is better even if different possible changes are being discussed. As Frederik noticed, this page is not really a [[Plan of action]] in the sense we mean it: a specific proposal for how to deal with energy production, climate change, etc. It's what we call an 'experiment' - a project that one of us here at the Azimuth Forum is working on. So, I've added it to our list of [[Experiments]]. Also, since the acronym 'MMOGEP' is not something people are likely to search for until this plan becomes famous, I've changed the title of the page to: [[Experiments in massive multiplayer online games for economic and political change]] You can still reach it via [[MMOGEP]], though!
    Comment Source:Ted talk on this subject: [Jane McGonigal: Gaming can make a better world](http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_gaming_can_make_a_better_world.html)
    nad
    edited April 2011

@Graham

Thanks, I think I already saw the talk. She is mentioned in the article with her game Evoke. I was thinking to mention what she said about the drives in gaming in the talk.

Comment Source:@Graham Thanks, I think I already saw the talk. She is mentioned in the article with her game Evoke. I was thinking to mention what she said about the drives in gaming in the talk.
    edited April 2011

It's always good to add links to related websites, talks etc. in a References section at the bottom of each page.

Comment Source:It's always good to add links to related websites, talks etc. in a References section at the bottom of each page.

John Baez wrote: "It's always good to add links to related websites, talks etc. in a References section at the bottom of each page."

The references in the article are already 3 pages long. I would use some crossreferrer like e.g. the commercial Mendeley but it doesn't look like the wiki may import this. It is already cumbersome to convert from latex to the wiki style, especially given that slow connection from berlin to wherever the azimuthserver is right now (Texas?). If I would need to copy all the references then I'll definitely die.

Anyways concerning Jane McGonigal. I haven't (yet) written about the psychological things she says in the talk, so the talk isn't (yet) in the references.

However I updated the MMOGEP site and in particular adressed a bit this problem of semantic interoperability.

Comment Source:John Baez wrote: "It's always good to add links to related websites, talks etc. in a References section at the bottom of each page." The references in the article are already 3 pages long. I would use some crossreferrer like e.g. the commercial Mendeley but it doesn't look like the wiki may import this. It is already cumbersome to convert from latex to the wiki style, especially given that slow connection from berlin to wherever the azimuthserver is right now (Texas?). If I would need to copy all the references then I'll definitely die. Anyways concerning Jane McGonigal. I haven't (yet) written about the psychological things she says in the talk, so the talk isn't (yet) in the references. However I updated the MMOGEP site and in particular adressed a bit this problem of semantic interoperability.
    edited May 2011

If I would need to copy all the references then I'll definitely die.

I don't want you to definitely die. How about just dumping the references in some crappy format at the end of the wiki page. They may look terrible, but over time someone can make them look nicer.

Comment Source:> If I would need to copy all the references then I'll definitely die. I don't want you to definitely die. How about just dumping the references in some crappy format at the end of the wiki page. They may look terrible, but over time someone can make them look nicer.