Options

Wind farm

Created Wind farm with a little advertising for the Alpha ventus project. An interesting side effect of these installations is that they seem to attract all kinds of see organisms that may in turn attract fish that eat them. As a further side effect I learned that "Miesmuschel" is called "mussel" in English (that may not be quite right, there are only certain kinds of Miesmuscheln in the North sea).

Comments

edited October 2010

Thanks for the new link, Tim! Wind farms are important! I added some basic information. It's easy to incorporate pictures in articles and I think it makes them more fun, so I also did that.

Re mussels: there's a famous Irish song Molly Malone with the line "Cockles and mussels, alive, alive-ho". So, now that you know about mussels, you can learn about cockles.

Comment Source:Thanks for the new link, Tim! Wind farms are important! I added some basic information. It's easy to incorporate pictures in articles and I think it makes them more fun, so I also did that. Re mussels: there's a famous Irish song [Molly Malone](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ylT6RjXst8) with the line "Cockles and mussels, alive, alive-ho". So, now that you know about mussels, you can learn about cockles.

In the eastern United States, Google and other big investors are “are throwing financial support behind an idea to build a multi-billion-dollar power distribution line for offshore wind farm projects”. This project is called the Atlantic Wind Connection. Details at Wind farm under "Offshore wind farms"

Comment Source:In the eastern United States, Google and other big investors are “are throwing financial support behind an idea to build a multi-billion-dollar power distribution line for offshore wind farm projects”. This project is called the Atlantic Wind Connection. Details at [[Wind farm]] under "Offshore wind farms"

Interesting! 350 miles into the Atlantic seems to be far away, how deep is the ocean over there?

The North Sea is rather flat (you may remember that Brain Fagan mentions in "The Long Summer" that this area was dry several thousand years ago). The tidal range is several meters, so that you can walk to Islands, like Wangerooge, during falling tide over the mud flat. You have to be very careful though, because if you get lost and the flood tide sets in, you are dead. These accidents happen to tourists from time to time, therefore people are advised to do this in the company of an experienced guide only, and never to lose sight of the shore when they venture into the tidal flat on their own.

Well, my point being: When I heard about wind farms in the North Sea my first thoughts were: Yes, that's possible, because the North Sea isn't that deep, and there is always a fair amount of wind. How about the Atlantic shore of the US?

Comment Source:Interesting! 350 miles into the Atlantic seems to be far away, how deep is the ocean over there? The North Sea is rather flat (you may remember that Brain Fagan mentions in "The Long Summer" that this area was dry several thousand years ago). The tidal range is several meters, so that you can walk to Islands, like Wangerooge, during falling tide over the mud flat. You have to be very careful though, because if you get lost and the flood tide sets in, you are dead. These accidents happen to tourists from time to time, therefore people are advised to do this in the company of an experienced guide only, and never to lose sight of the shore when they venture into the tidal flat on their own. Well, my point being: When I heard about wind farms in the North Sea my first thoughts were: Yes, that's possible, because the North Sea isn't that deep, and there is always a fair amount of wind. How about the Atlantic shore of the US?
    edited October 2010

Morecambe Bay in the UK is a similarly dangerous stretch of shallow sea. Twenty or so immigrant Chinese cockle pickers lost their lives there in 2004, drowning in the dark, cut-off by the silent incoming tide. What emerged was a tragedy of exploitation by gang-masters. Two bodies were never recovered, and just last week, a skull was washed ashore from one of those remaining two. There are a few wind turbines in the Bay.

Comment Source:[Morecambe Bay](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morecambe_Bay) in the UK is a similarly dangerous stretch of shallow sea. Twenty or so immigrant Chinese cockle pickers lost their lives there in 2004, drowning in the dark, cut-off by the silent incoming tide. What emerged was a tragedy of exploitation by gang-masters. Two bodies were never recovered, and just last week, a skull was washed ashore from one of those remaining two. There are a few wind turbines in the Bay.

Wind farms are not completely benign (apart from disruption to migratory birds) - the wake turbulence is quite striking. One example from Denmark is here.

Comment Source:Wind farms are not completely benign (apart from disruption to migratory birds) - the wake turbulence is quite striking. One example from Denmark is [here](http://cires.colorado.edu/news/archives/2009/pichuginaTurbulence.html).

I don't know the depth of the Atlantic around there. If you're interested, maybe read about Cape Wind.

Comment Source:I don't know the depth of the Atlantic around there. If you're interested, maybe read about <a href = "http://www.capewind.org/article23.htm">Cape Wind</a>.

I added information about wind farms in the United States and South Korea to Wind farm. The US is ahead of Germany in wind farms! Now Tim van Beek will need to add more information to this page, to defend the honor of his country.

Comment Source:I added information about wind farms in the United States and South Korea to [[Wind farm]]. The US is ahead of Germany in wind farms! Now Tim van Beek will need to add more information to this page, to defend the honor of his country.

Added some more information and re-organised wind farm.

Comment Source:Added some more information and re-organised [[wind farm]].

I added a reference on how much wind farms affects climate and included the abstract

Comment Source:I added a reference on how much wind farms affects climate and included the abstract

China is now the world leader in wind power. I have updated the examples (China and US) to reflect this.

Comment Source:China is now the world leader in wind power. I have updated the examples (China and US) to reflect this.

Updated the page with this news: In July 2013, the world's biggest offshore wind farm was switched on in Britain (630MW max capacity).

Comment Source:Updated the page with this news: In July 2013, the [world's biggest offshore wind farm](http://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/green-tech/wind/worlds-biggest-offshore-wind-farm-switched-on-in-britain/) was switched on in Britain (630MW max capacity).