Options

Experiments in food return on energy invested

I'm starting a page Experiments in food return on energy invested. For now it's just an uninteresting stub (though positive comments are welcome) but hopefully it will become something useful.

Comments

I changed the title to make only the first word capitalized.

When you say present-day FROEIs are 10:1, I guess you mean 10 calories of energy are expended to create one calorie of food energy? It might be good to make that clear, though it's obvious with a bit of thought.

Comment Source:I changed the title to make only the first word capitalized. When you say present-day FROEIs are 10:1, I guess you mean 10 calories of energy are expended to create one calorie of food energy? It might be good to make that clear, though it's obvious with a bit of thought.
    edited May 2011

[Wrong stuff deleted]

Comment Source:[Wrong stuff deleted]

John said:

When you say present-day FROEIs are 10:1 [...] It might be good to make that clear

yes, I'll certainly do that. I haven't done anything in the last days, but I intend to work on it.

Btw, I now think a large part of the 10:1 is due to processing of food (it seems so, based on a graph in one of the references) so I think ti would make sense to partition the FROEI in three parts, to allow for better historical comparison:

• how much energy is needed to grow the food

• how much energy is used to transport, process etc the food (during the chain from farmer to consumer)

• how much energy does the consumer spend (cooking etc)

I suppose the cooking (burning wood) is what makes the FROEI go up to 1:1 for early farmers, but I'll check.

Comment Source:John said: > When you say present-day FROEIs are 10:1 [...] It might be good to make that clear yes, I'll certainly do that. I haven't done anything in the last days, but I intend to work on it. Btw, I now think a large part of the 10:1 is due to processing of food (it seems so, based on a graph in one of the references) so I think ti would make sense to partition the FROEI in three parts, to allow for better historical comparison: - how much energy is needed to grow the food - how much energy is used to transport, process etc the food (during the chain from farmer to consumer) - how much energy does the consumer spend (cooking etc) I suppose the cooking (burning wood) is what makes the FROEI go up to 1:1 for early farmers, but I'll check.

Whenever I cook food on a gas stove I think about how much heat energy goes into the air instead of into the food, and burning wood in a primitive setup seems just as inefficient or even worse. I may be wrong but I imagine that in a microwave oven a much greater proportion of the energy goes into actually heating the food.

Comment Source:Whenever I cook food on a gas stove I think about how much heat energy goes into the air instead of into the food, and burning wood in a primitive setup seems just as inefficient or even worse. I may be wrong but I imagine that in a microwave oven a much greater proportion of the energy goes into actually heating the food.
    edited June 2011

David MacKay has written about some ways to heat water for pasta. This appears limited to cooking that works via immersion in fully boiling water of course; when the water is in the food it may well be different.

Comment Source:David MacKay has [written about some ways to heat water for pasta](http://withouthotair.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-to-boil-water-sequel.html). This appears limited to cooking that works via immersion in fully boiling water of course; when the water is in the food it may well be different.

MacKay is great. I'm saddened to hear that a microwave oven is a hopelessly inefficient way to boil water for pasta, and amazed that apparently all the wasted energy goes into heating the "internal organs" of the microwave oven.

There should be a way to cook pasta, or beans, where you heat the water and food to boiling and then, thanks to a heavily insulated container, only need to administer a tiny amount of extra heat to keep it all at that temperature.

This would be more useful for something like beans, which take a long time to cook.

Comment Source:MacKay is great. I'm saddened to hear that a microwave oven is a hopelessly inefficient way to boil water for pasta, and amazed that apparently all the wasted energy goes into heating the "internal organs" of the microwave oven. There should be a way to cook pasta, or beans, where you heat the water and food to boiling and then, thanks to a heavily insulated container, only need to administer a tiny amount of extra heat to keep it all at that temperature. This would be more useful for something like beans, which take a long time to cook.

What about a high-pressure kettle? (More as a reminder for myself, I'll look it up because it fits in the content of this experimental page)

For heating already cooked food a microwave oven is still the best, I thought.

I also found higher figures for boiling water with the lid on, up till 15 % energy is saved.

Comment Source:What about a high-pressure kettle? (More as a reminder for myself, I'll look it up because it fits in the content of this experimental page) For heating already cooked food a microwave oven is still the best, I thought. I also found higher figures for boiling water with the lid on, up till 15 % energy is saved.