Options

DavidTweed's dropping away from Azimuth for a bit

I'm about to end a year and a half as a not terribly successful software entrepreneur and start a job doing financial analysis and programming. As such, it brings up a couple of issues. The position partly deals with mathematical modelling and programming and is job where "Intellectual Property" will be developed. The company is a reasonable one and is only interested in finance, so I can probably continue simple experiments with population modelling (since the techniques used are very unlikely to be applicable to their work) and discussions with others about their projects. However, if any discussion starts to stray into areas that might bring up stuff related to my work, I'm going to have to fall silent. As regards writing Azimuth pages summarising well known science I can continue that, subject to time availability.

Incidentally, that's partly why I've thrown up a couple of personal pages recently that might be useful for Azimuth stuff so it's clear I've thought about them before I was ever exposed to any proprietary IP. Whether I'll get to finish off this I don't know, particularly since I'm reaching a tricky point in another big time sink of mine. (For those for whom this'll mean anything I'm currently experiencing "first draft blues".)

Comments

(For those for whom this'll mean anything I'm currently experiencing "first draft blues".)

I'm not completely sure I understand, but I've made a guess — but good luck!

Comment Source:> (For those for whom this'll mean anything I'm currently experiencing "first draft blues".) I'm not completely sure I understand, but I've made a guess — but good luck!
    edited May 2011

You're writing a book?

Good luck on your new job! I hope you can continue to help us out.

Comment Source:You're writing a book? Good luck on your new job! I hope you can continue to help us out.

I'm taking my first foray into novel-length writing, although it may only ever exist as electronic reader files (unless I get both skillful and lucky).

Anyway, just to say I'm effectively vanishing until the start of July. (I'll either have no internet access or internet access at places where I can't read Azimuth blog/wiki/forum. I'll still be reading email if anyone wants to ask me anything desperately.)

Good luck building the site and impetus until I hopefully start dropping in again.

Comment Source:I'm taking my first foray into novel-length writing, although it may only ever exist as electronic reader files (unless I get both skillful and lucky). Anyway, just to say I'm effectively vanishing until the start of July. (I'll either have no internet access or internet access at places where I can't read Azimuth blog/wiki/forum. I'll still be reading email if anyone wants to ask me anything desperately.) Good luck building the site and impetus until I hopefully start dropping in again.

It's the start of July!

Comment Source:It's the start of July!
    edited July 2011

Indeed it is. Having had to move I've only just regained non-work internet access. (The landlord is starting a new internet contract, which might lead to another unpredictable period of "internet-less-ness" in the near future.) There's also a tech issue I'll discuss on a new techncal thread.

Comment Source:Indeed it is. Having had to move I've only just regained non-work internet access. (The landlord is starting a new internet contract, which might lead to another unpredictable period of "internet-less-ness" in the near future.) There's also a tech issue I'll discuss on a new techncal thread.
    edited July 2011

Should it matter, I'm probably going to drop out of contact again for a bit. Given the old title of this thread I ought to point out that this isn't to do with my new job, which is going well; it's one of the other things that comes up in life. (Again personal life if putting me in a position where I don't have either the time or internet access to contribute to Azimuth. Yet again I plan to be back at some point.)

Comment Source:Should it matter, I'm probably going to drop out of contact again for a bit. Given the old title of this thread I ought to point out that this isn't to do with my new job, which is going well; it's one of the other things that comes up in life. (Again personal life if putting me in a position where I don't have either the time or internet access to contribute to Azimuth. Yet again I plan to be back at some point.)

Okay. Good luck! I hope nothing too terrible is going on...

Comment Source:Okay. Good luck! I hope nothing too terrible is going on...

David sent me an email and explained that nothing terrible is going on.

Comment Source:David sent me an email and explained that nothing terrible is going on.