Options

Open source hardware

stub Open source hardware. I will add explicit renewable energy projects later.

Comments

edited June 2011

Never heard that term before :-)

BTW, I'm still waiting for economists to explain the tremendous success of open source software in capitalistic systems. I think this may be compared to bards who sang their songs for free on the market place for everyone to hear, in order to get free lodging afterwards.

Comment Source:Never heard that term before :-) BTW, I'm still waiting for economists to explain the tremendous success of open source software in capitalistic systems. I think this may be compared to bards who sang their songs for free on the market place for everyone to hear, in order to get free lodging afterwards.

Another point that I think is often not mentioned is that software is inherently "micro-modifiable". What that means is that if I have an open source package doing task X but I want to change/extend it by a tiny amount, I can and then it's up to me how much testing/QA/etc I do on the new product. On the other hand, for say a drug formulation, car chassis or a mobile phone design I have to go through a full regulatory recertification process no matter how minor the modifications. I wonder how many other fields there are that are "micro-modifiable" that would benefit from open source.

Comment Source:Another point that I think is often not mentioned is that software is inherently "micro-modifiable". What that means is that if I have an open source package doing task X but I want to change/extend it by a tiny amount, I can and then it's up to me how much testing/QA/etc I do on the new product. On the other hand, for say a drug formulation, car chassis or a mobile phone design I have to go through a full regulatory recertification process no matter how minor the modifications. I wonder how many other fields there are that are "micro-modifiable" that would benefit from open source.

Open Source Ecology is a very impressive example of open source hardware project that I spotted some weeks ago. From their wiki:

Open Source Ecology is a network of farmers, engineers, and supporters that has been imagining and creating the Global Village Construction Set, an open source, low-cost, high performance technological platform. These DIY-fabricated industrial machines can be used to build a sustainable civilization with modern comforts. The GVCS lowers the barriers to entry into farming, building, and manufacturing. It is a life-size lego-like set of modular tools that can create entire economies.

Comment Source:[Open Source Ecology](http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Main_Page) is a very impressive example of open source hardware project that I spotted some weeks ago. From their wiki: >Open Source Ecology is a network of farmers, engineers, and supporters that has been imagining and creating the Global Village Construction Set, an open source, low-cost, high performance technological platform. These DIY-fabricated industrial machines can be used to build a sustainable civilization with modern comforts. The GVCS lowers the barriers to entry into farming, building, and manufacturing. It is a life-size lego-like set of modular tools that can create entire economies.

BTW, I'm still waiting for economists to explain the tremendous success of open source software in capitalistic systems. I think this may be compared to bards who sang their songs for free on the market place for everyone to hear, in order to get free lodging afterwards.

TIm. go ask Google as they mostly open source Linux servers ;-)

I wonder how many other fields there are that are "micro-modifiable" that would benefit from open source.

David: That was my initial reaction when i saw this first but we might chase that down and if you find anything just add it. I will also look

mstn: I'll add OSE to the side.

btw OSHW is also known as Open design or just Open Hardware. so I'll add some redirects.

Comment Source:> BTW, I'm still waiting for economists to explain the tremendous success of open source software in capitalistic systems. I think this may be compared to bards who sang their songs for free on the market place for everyone to hear, in order to get free lodging afterwards. TIm. go ask Google as they mostly open source Linux servers ;-) > I wonder how many other fields there are that are "micro-modifiable" that would benefit from open source. David: That was my initial reaction when i saw this first but we might chase that down and if you find anything just add it. I will also look mstn: I'll add OSE to the side. btw OSHW is also known as Open design or just Open Hardware. so I'll add some redirects.