Options

Entropy and Backradiation

There have been a lot of discussions - and I mean blog threads with 1000s of entries, besides the articles in "Slaying the Sky Dragon" and the Gerlich&Tscheuschner paper - about the IR radiation effect in the atmosphere of the earth. Starting with the claim that physics got black body radiation wrong, because the very concept of "photon" is ill advised (Claes Johnson), up to the more interesting comment that a) this effect violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics (Gerlich & Tscheuschner), or b) that back radiation cannot have any warming effect. Actually, in "Slaying the Sky Dragon" there is also the point that this effect violates the first law of thermodynamics, but I think that's either a misprint or the author simply got it wrong.

I gather from some discussions that a) and b) are actually two different arguments, although most people raising b) seem to have been thinking they were talking about a).

I think it is possible to explain this "within the frame of physics" :-) but I don't want to get a discussion started like the ones over at Judy Curry's blog (I have no idea how she manages tho keep track of those).