Options

sorry

sorry for posting my last question about the intensity twice.
The XML parser seems to have problems with my hrefs but I couldnt find out
what problems. that is I tried various options for the HTML link comand...
without semicolon, semicolon before the gänsefüsschen " " "(sorry I forgot the
english word) , semicolon after the gänsefüsschen, but the parser is still not content.

Comments

I can delete that post of yours. Can you? (Just curious; I don't know if you see "delete" along with "edit" and other options at the top of each comment of yours.) I'll take a look to see what's happening with the html. If the URL contains the symbol &, you may need to change it to

&

Comment Source:I can delete that post of yours. Can you? (Just curious; I don't know if you see "delete" along with "edit" and other options at the top of each comment of yours.) I'll take a look to see what's happening with the html. If the URL contains the symbol &, you may need to change it to `&`

The semi-colons shouldn't be there, and ampersands need to be escaped. When I did that to your post (in a preview box, I didn't actually edit your post) then it worked.

Generally, it's best to let Markdown deal with producing the XHTML syntax as it knows about these things and will do them correctly. Because we use MathML here, the XHTML syntax has to be strict, which means that ampersands have to be & and so forth. If you put in raw XHTML code then Markdown will leave it alone, assuming that you know what you are doing! But if you use Markdown syntax for links then Markdown will assume that you didn't know what you were doing and ensure that the entities are escaped correctly.

So here's how I would have formatted that post. (You can click on the "Source" link at the top left of this post to see the source text.) As well as putting your links in {link](text) format, I put the link to the wiki in the [[wikilink]] syntax and took out the <p> tags. Markdown treats blank lines as "new paragraph" markers so they aren't necessary, and putting a paragraph in <p> tags disables Markdown inside it (sometimes this is very useful).

Hello,

I am looking for new statistics for Energy intensity in the context of what I dubbed the Recycling runaway effect. May be I am just bad in browsing, but I have really trouble to find a good overview. Like Wikipedia refers to an organisation which seems to be out of business. The UN refers to the IEA. However on the IEA site I found only some diagrams in this document on page 21. In principle I am looking for a diagram like this. It neatly displays that for example the energy intensity actually grew for Brazil instead of decreased, which is different for the world trend. In what I wrote on the Azimuth project I claim that due to recycling run away effect and the harder retrieval of ressources the world wide trend of a declining energy intensity might stagger or even reverse in the future. So it would be important to find newer statistics.

The diagram in the IEA document (page 21) however stops at 2005, moreover they don't use standard units but some -whateverdefinedbyIEA- "Indicators".

I know that in principle one could calculate the intensity by hand, however I can't believe that there is nothing on the web for this really important indicator! So please let me know if you found something useful.

Comment Source:The semi-colons shouldn't be there, and ampersands need to be escaped. When I did that to your post (in a preview box, I didn't actually edit your post) then it worked. Generally, it's best to let Markdown deal with producing the XHTML syntax as it knows about these things and will do them correctly. Because we use MathML here, the XHTML syntax has to be _strict_, which means that ampersands have to be `&amp;` and so forth. If you put in raw XHTML code then Markdown will leave it alone, assuming that you know what you are doing! But if you use Markdown syntax for links then Markdown will assume that you _didn't_ know what you were doing and ensure that the entities are escaped correctly. So here's how _I_ would have formatted that post. (You can click on the "Source" link at the top left of this post to see the source text.) As well as putting your links in `{link](text)` format, I put the link to the wiki in the `[[wikilink]]` syntax and took out the `<p>` tags. Markdown treats blank lines as "new paragraph" markers so they aren't necessary, and putting a paragraph in `<p>` tags disables Markdown inside it (sometimes this is very useful). --- Hello, I am looking for new statistics for [Energy intensity](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_intensity) in the context of what I dubbed the [[Recycling runaway effect]]. May be I am just bad in browsing, but I have really trouble to find a good overview. Like Wikipedia refers to an organisation which seems to be [out of business](http://earthtrends.wri.org/). The [UN refers to the IEA](http://www.un.org/esa/sustdev/natlinfo/indicators/isdms2001/isd-ms2001economicB.htm). However on the IEA site I [found](http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=energy+intensity&sp-a=sp10029401&sp-p=all&sp-f=ISO-8859-1) only some diagrams in [this document](http://www.iea.org/Papers/2008/Indicators_2008.pdf) on page 21. In principle I am looking for a diagram like this. It neatly displays that for example the energy intensity actually grew for Brazil instead of decreased, which is different for the world trend. In what I wrote on the Azimuth project I claim that due to recycling run away effect and the harder retrieval of ressources the world wide trend of a declining energy intensity might stagger or even reverse in the future. So it would be important to find newer statistics. The diagram in the IEA document (page 21) however stops at 2005, moreover they don't use standard units but some -whateverdefinedbyIEA- "Indicators". I know that in principle one could calculate the intensity by hand, however I can't believe that there is nothing on the web for this really important indicator! So please let me know if you found something useful.
    nad
    edited June 2011
    @Andrew: thanks Andrew for editing. I used Markdown+Itex, but then the parser would object, so I had to send the question as a pure text. If I understood you correctly then you say that the ampersands in the URL of the IEA would have to be "escaped". What do you mean exactly by that, using Johns &amp ?
    It is quite nervy that some URLs can't just be pasted.
    (...google search links for example....)

Concerning the brackets: I prefer to stick to one standard i.e. here pure html, I find this wikibracketing for links not really helpful - it appears superfluous to remember, which bracket to use when in which wiki. Isn't it possible to use html over here?

@John:
    The question is now again posted.
    I can't delete the question either.I currently see here only this "big input" button and if I go on the previous instances I see only this "edit source permalink" buttons.
    Comment Source:@Andrew: thanks Andrew for editing. I used Markdown+Itex, but then the parser would object, so I had to send the question as a pure text. If I understood you correctly then you say that the ampersands in the URL of the IEA would have to be "escaped". What do you mean exactly by that, using Johns &amp ? It is quite nervy that some URLs can't just be pasted. (...google search links for example....) Concerning the brackets: I prefer to stick to one standard i.e. here pure html, I find this wikibracketing for links not really helpful - it appears superfluous to remember, which bracket to use when in which wiki. Isn't it possible to use html over here? @John: The question is now again posted. I can't delete the question either.I currently see here only this "big input" button and if I go on the previous instances I see only this "edit source permalink" buttons.

Concerning the brackets: I prefer to stick to one standard i.e. here pure html, I find this wikibracketing for links not really helpful - it appears superflous to remember, which bracket to use when in which wiki. Isn't it possible to use html over here?

Sort of. You have to use Strict XHTML and that involves escaping entities. You can just use the []() syntax for all links, including ones to the wiki. The [[...]] syntax is provided to make it as easy as possible to cut and paste back and forth between here and the wiki (it's not perfect, but it's as close as I can make it).

Comment Source:> Concerning the brackets: I prefer to stick to one standard i.e. here pure html, I find this wikibracketing for links not really helpful - it appears superflous to remember, which bracket to use when in which wiki. Isn't it possible to use html over here? Sort of. You have to use _Strict XHTML_ and that involves escaping entities. You can just use the `[]()` syntax for _all_ links, including ones to the wiki. The `[[...]]` syntax is provided to make it as easy as possible to cut and paste back and forth between here and the wiki (it's not perfect, but it's as close as I can make it).
    nad
    edited June 2011

Andrew wrote: (it's not perfect, but it's as close as I can make it).

I didn't want to complain about the Azimuth set-up. It is quite amazing what you have set up in your free time nand I know that it is hard to puzzle together software (see e.g. the entry Experiments+in+massive+multiplayer+online+games+for+economic+and+political+change).

I just tried to find a workaround for the brackets, now that I know that one has to use strict XHTML I will be more careful when pasting in links.

Comment Source:Andrew wrote: (it's not perfect, but it's as close as I can make it). I didn't want to complain about the Azimuth set-up. It is quite amazing what you have set up in your free time nand I know that it is hard to puzzle together software (see e.g. the entry [[Experiments+in+massive+multiplayer+online+games+for+economic+and+political+change]]). I just tried to find a workaround for the brackets, now that I know that one has to use strict XHTML I will be more careful when pasting in links.

If it's any help, there are javascript tools for automatically encoding entities. Someone mentioned one once on the nForum - I'll see if I can dig it out.

Comment Source:If it's any help, there are javascript tools for automatically encoding entities. Someone mentioned one once on the nForum - I'll see if I can dig it out.
    @Andrew, please don't bother - I get along.
    Comment Source:@Andrew, please don't bother - I get along.

Just took a little searching. Here's where we had a bit of a discussion on this: http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Mathforge/nForum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1456. One thing was to have the following "smart bookmarks" in your browser:

javascript:alert(escape(document.getSelection()))
    javascript:alert(escape(document.location.href))

They both should produce an "alert" box with the URL correctly escaped. The first works from a selection, the second from the location in the location bar.

Comment Source:Just took a little searching. Here's where we had a bit of a discussion on this: <http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Mathforge/nForum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1456>. One thing was to have the following "smart bookmarks" in your browser: javascript:alert(escape(document.getSelection())) javascript:alert(escape(document.location.href)) They both should produce an "alert" box with the URL correctly escaped. The first works from a selection, the second from the location in the location bar.
    edited June 2011

nad wrote:

If I understood you (Andrew) correctly then you say that the ampersands in the URL of the IEA would have to be "escaped". What do you mean exactly by that, using Johns &amp ?

I guess you know the answer now, but someone else might not... Andrew meant that if you use HTML in this forum, you need to replace

&

by

&amp;

in any URL that appears in an <a href = ""> command.

I find it easier to use the markup language for a lot of things on the Wiki and the Forum; luckily the same markup language is used for both. But when I transfer something to my WordPress blog, I need it to be in HTML. So, if I think I'm going to transfer something to the blog, sometimes I write things in HTML here.

I guess I'm one of the few people who has the power to delete comments here on the Forum. I deleted the problematic comments that this discussion is about.

Comment Source:nad wrote: > If I understood you (Andrew) correctly then you say that the ampersands in the URL of the IEA would have to be "escaped". What do you mean exactly by that, using Johns &amp ? I guess you know the answer now, but someone else might not... Andrew meant that if you use HTML in this forum, you need to replace `&` by `&amp;` in any URL that appears in an `<a href = "">` command. I find it easier to use the markup language for a lot of things on the Wiki and the Forum; luckily the same markup language is used for both. But when I transfer something to my WordPress blog, I need it to be in HTML. So, if I think I'm going to transfer something to the blog, sometimes I write things in HTML here. I guess I'm one of the few people who has the power to delete comments here on the Forum. I deleted the problematic comments that this discussion is about.