Options

Planet 3.0

I've joined Planet 3.0, an organization that binds together a lot of climate-related blogs (Azimuth isn't listed there yet, but it will be), and has blog articles of its own. It has an editorial team consisting of Michael Tobis and Dan Moutal, and an Steve Easterbrook, Arthur Smith, Michael Tobis, and Bart Verheggen.

I don't know much about it yet, but it seems potentially good. I've been wanting more people to join me blogging on Azimuth, to build up more of a community and a higher level of energy, but maybe this is a better solution: keep Azimuth as is, but also put climate-related blog articles on Planet 3.0. Time will tell.

Comments

edited October 2011

Great! (Not long ago I thought about reminding MT to have Azimuth listed on his old blog, http://initforthegold.blogspot.com/. )

Comment Source:Great! (Not long ago I thought about reminding MT to have Azimuth listed on his old blog, [http://initforthegold.blogspot.com/]( http://initforthegold.blogspot.com/). )
    edited October 2011

I'm going to take the liberty of showing you an email I got from Michael Tobis, because it's pretty exciting. He had written:

Contributions from you to Planet3.0 are more than welcome, including cross-posts. So far we are light on tutorials and heavy on opinion compared to where I hoped to be, but a good tutorial takes some work as you well know.

I wrote:

I might like to do some of those. For example, maybe I could take existing blog posts of mine and make them a bit more easy to read.

I've been trying to get other people to join me blogging on Azimuth, not very energetically and not very successfully. Maybe putting my climate and sustainability posts on Planet 3.0 would be a better solution. The main thing I'm after is a bigger community, big enough to actually make a real difference someday.

Anyway, I'll start by doing very little but looking at Planet 3.0 and getting a feel for where it is now! But I'd also be happy to hear about where you're trying to go with it.

He wrote:

I think that online science journalism is potentially a very new sort of beast, really different from any prior medium.

I could go on at great length about what we plan to do in what order. Perhaps voice communication would be better. Do you Skype?

The basic idea is that the most science literate stratum of society (somewhere between 1 % and 10%) is an underserved market for sustainability news, information and opinion. I have heard from business people that if one has a need that is unfulfilled in the marketplace that is often a good business model.

But the future of science journalism is very much a new medium. I really want to get this thing moving along smoothly enough to start experimenting with virtual museum client-side codes that demonstrate scales and behaviors dynamically. It's a pretty much wide open medium and that's where we need to try to go. But I also think that community building is key.

I am quitting my day job effective Jan 1 de jure and when I finish this damn coding project de facto. This will pretty much be my main focus after that, and I don't think I need to make much money at it for a couple of years.

You would be a great ally. We really ought to put our heads together.

I'll talk to him on Skype. Needless to say, I consider all you equal partners in this business, so please join the conversation either here, or via email, or maybe even on Google+. (They make "hangouts" possible, where a bunch of people talk to each other and see each other online. I haven't tried one.)

Comment Source:I'm going to take the liberty of showing you an email I got from Michael Tobis, because it's pretty exciting. He had written: > Contributions from you to Planet3.0 are more than welcome, including cross-posts. So far we are light on tutorials and heavy on opinion compared to where I hoped to be, but a good tutorial takes some work as you well know. I wrote: > I might like to do some of those. For example, maybe I could take existing blog posts of mine and make them a bit more easy to read. > I've been trying to get other people to join me blogging on Azimuth, not very energetically and not very successfully. Maybe putting my climate and sustainability posts on Planet 3.0 would be a better solution. The main thing I'm after is a bigger community, big enough to actually make a real difference someday. > Anyway, I'll start by doing very little but looking at Planet 3.0 and getting a feel for where it is now! But I'd also be happy to hear about where you're trying to go with it. He wrote: > I think that online science journalism is potentially a very new sort of beast, really different from any prior medium. > I could go on at great length about what we plan to do in what order. Perhaps voice communication would be better. Do you Skype? > The basic idea is that the most science literate stratum of society (somewhere between 1 % and 10%) is an underserved market for sustainability news, information and opinion. I have heard from business people that if one has a need that is unfulfilled in the marketplace that is often a good business model. > But the future of science journalism is very much a new medium. I really want to get this thing moving along smoothly enough to start experimenting with virtual museum client-side codes that demonstrate scales and behaviors dynamically. It's a pretty much wide open medium and that's where we need to try to go. But I also think that community building is key. > I am quitting my day job effective Jan 1 de jure and when I finish this damn coding project de facto. This will pretty much be my main focus after that, and I don't think I need to make much money at it for a couple of years. > You would be a great ally. We really ought to put our heads together. I'll talk to him on Skype. Needless to say, I consider all you equal partners in this business, so please join the conversation either here, or via email, or maybe even on Google+. (They make "hangouts" possible, where a bunch of people talk to each other and see each other online. I haven't tried one.)