Options

Introduction (belated)

Pleased to make everyones acquaintance!

I am a software developer working at an investment bank in New York using the Scala language mostly, but with a fair smattering of others thrown in. If anyone wants to talk about agile development, pair programming, test-driven development, or fixed income securities trading, I'm happy to oblige.

In a previous life my postgraduate studies were in statistics and algorithmic complexity but (grumbles) I let it slide to begin working; prior to that I studied neural networks at King's College, London, and prior to prior to that maths and computing science at Glasgow.

My current language loyalties are Haskell, Scala, and some Lisp variants, but I have also much enjoyed the recent Javascript work I've done, not really for the language itself, but for the mountains of cool stuff written in Javascript which I now have an excuse to geek-out on.

I am a new dad, a music lover, and a keen cook (which eats up about as much of my time as programming and raising a child put-together); I grew up in Scotland, live in Brooklyn, my favorite planet is Neptune, and I'm happy to have joined the Azimuth Project!

Comments

Nice to hear more about you, Allan! The people I meet online are often rather misty figures, at first... they appear from the shadows and start doing wonderful things, but often I don't have any sense of what they're actually like.

I have two very good mathematician friends in Glasgow now: Tom Leinster (who you may know from the n-Cafe: he works on n-categories and is running a conference on biodiversity which I'll attend this summer in Barcelona) and Danny Stevenson (who works on n-categories and higher gauge theory). So I like Glasgow. Do you ever go back there?

My student Alex Hoffnung went to Brooklyn College.

I went to grad school on Neptune. Did you see my comments about it here?

Comment Source:Nice to hear more about you, Allan! The people I meet online are often rather misty figures, at first... they appear from the shadows and start doing wonderful things, but often I don't have any sense of what they're actually like. I have two very good mathematician friends in Glasgow now: Tom Leinster (who you may know from the n-Cafe: he works on n-categories and is running a conference on biodiversity which I'll attend this summer in Barcelona) and Danny Stevenson (who works on n-categories and higher gauge theory). So I like Glasgow. Do you ever go back there? My student Alex Hoffnung went to Brooklyn College. I went to grad school on Neptune. Did you see my comments about it [here](http://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/ice/)?

The people I meet online are often rather misty figures

It used to be a policy of mine to be misty since I care about online privacy and couldn't think of any better way to protect mine. But then the whole social translucency thing started, and all-of-a-sudden being a misty blob where everyone else can actually see each other seems to draw more attention to yourself than otherwise!

I go back to Glasgow every once in a while as my family is still in Scotland. It is a great city indeed ("God's own city", my auntie calls it) -- I once emailed Tom out of the blue hoping to grab him for a coffee, but it never turned out.

I had seen your comments on Neptune -- great stuff! My preference runs from childhood -- we had an encyclopedia and I would lie face-planted on the Neptune page.. can't remember what my exact criteria were :-)

Comment Source:> The people I meet online are often rather misty figures It used to be a policy of mine to be misty since I care about online privacy and couldn't think of any better way to protect mine. But then the whole social translucency thing started, and all-of-a-sudden being a misty blob where everyone else can actually see each other seems to draw more attention to yourself than otherwise! I go back to Glasgow every once in a while as my family is still in Scotland. It is a great city indeed ("God's own city", my auntie calls it) -- I once emailed Tom out of the blue hoping to grab him for a coffee, but it never turned out. I had seen your comments on Neptune -- great stuff! My preference runs from childhood -- we had an encyclopedia and I would lie face-planted on the Neptune page.. can't remember what my exact criteria were :-)

I tried to be a little bit misty here, too. Tried to use only my first name, but I lost the battle during the registration. Then I must warn you about my sense of humor. Once I was in Manchester area with a scottish and welsh coworker of mine. We dined in the evening and in the middle of the discussion the scott said to the welsh: "I thought, that english humour is dry, but now I see, that it is not the driest".

Comment Source:I tried to be a little bit misty here, too. Tried to use only my first name, but I lost the battle during the registration. Then I must warn you about my sense of humor. Once I was in Manchester area with a scottish and welsh coworker of mine. We dined in the evening and in the middle of the discussion the scott said to the welsh: "I thought, that english humour is dry, but now I see, that it is not the driest".

I'm afraid working on climate change issues and put together lots of trustworthy information while trying to remain semi-anonymous doesn't seem like a good idea to me. But don't worry - I will not try to determine your favorite breakfast cereal, home phone number, credit card details, etc.

Too bad you never met Tom Leinster, Allan. He's a nice guy.

I'll beware of dry humor. It has a tendency to make me feel stupid.

Comment Source:I'm afraid working on climate change issues and put together lots of trustworthy information while trying to remain semi-anonymous doesn't seem like a good idea to me. But don't worry - I will not try to determine your favorite breakfast cereal, home phone number, credit card details, etc. Too bad you never met Tom Leinster, Allan. He's a nice guy. I'll beware of dry humor. It has a tendency to make me feel stupid.
    nad
    edited April 2012

John likes probaby slapstick films.

Comment Source:John likes probaby <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slapstick_film">slapstick films</a>.