Options

recommendations

I think it might be useful to find some standard for marking recommendations in azimuth project pages. I started a first attempt here: http://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/Visualization+tool

Comments

in particular it may eventually be useful to introduce name abreviations for marking recommendations.

Comment Source:in particular it may eventually be useful to introduce name abreviations for marking recommendations.
    edited May 2012

I'm not sure what you mean by 'standards for marking recommendations', but I like what you did to that page.

By the way, just so all the new people learn the tricks: if you're talking here in the Forum and you want to link to an Azimuth Wiki page like 'Visualization tool', you can just type

[[Visualization tool]]

and you'll get a link:

Visualization tool

I will change the category of this discussion from 'Azimuth Blog' to 'Azimuth Wiki', since that's what it's about.

Comment Source:I'm not sure what you mean by 'standards for marking recommendations', but I like what you did to that page. By the way, just so all the new people learn the tricks: if you're talking here in the Forum and you want to link to an Azimuth Wiki page like 'Visualization tool', you can just type `[[Visualization tool]]` and you'll get a link: [[Visualization tool]] I will change the category of this discussion from 'Azimuth Blog' to 'Azimuth Wiki', since that's what it's about.
    nad
    edited June 2012

I'm not sure what you mean by 'standards for marking recommendations', but I like what you did to that page.

Within a text it is sometimes not clear where a recommendation starts and where it ends so one should eventually mark the recommendation itself like by highlighting.

Moreover if you write a recommendation into the wiki like "this software is recommended" then the reader eventually wants to know from where or by whom the recommendations are issued. This is because different people have often different preferences and audiences.

If you have a recommendation within a text then writing the person or groups name would obstruct the text too much, so if one marks a recommendation within a text with a name one should may be at least use name or pseudonymous abbreviations (Like in newspapers they even use sometimes only abbrevations in order to sign an article) or as another option one could provide the (highlighted) recommendation with a link sign, so that one could follow the link and see who recommended what (and eventually why and how).

For this wiki the last option seems however not recommendable, so I marked my recommendation simply with my name abbreviation. It is also not really an option if you have a "like-it"-kind of recomendation which comes from ca. 10 000 people.

By the way, just so all the new people learn the tricks: if you're talking here in the Forum and you want to link to an Azimuth Wiki page like 'Visualization tool', you can just type Visualization tool

I know, but I use not only the Azimuth wiki and forum and sometimes if I am not sure which exact syntax was used in which wiki, forum or other social media sites it is easier for me to just write the full HTML instead of looking into the manual. It is thus a bit problematic that there are meanwhile some sites where normal HTML is not accepted. This is a bit as if english would in some country not be excepted as an international language.

Comment Source:>I'm not sure what you mean by 'standards for marking recommendations', but I like what you did to that page. Within a text it is sometimes not clear where a recommendation starts and where it ends so one should eventually mark the recommendation itself like by highlighting. Moreover if you write a recommendation into the wiki like "this software is recommended" then the reader eventually wants to know from where or by whom the recommendations are issued. This is because different people have often different preferences and audiences. If you have a recommendation within a text then writing the person or groups name would obstruct the text too much, so if one marks a recommendation within a text with a name one should may be at least use name or pseudonymous abbreviations (Like in newspapers they even use sometimes only abbrevations in order to sign an article) or as another option one could provide the (highlighted) recommendation with a link sign, so that one could follow the link and see who recommended what (and eventually why and how). For this wiki the last option seems however not recommendable, so I marked my recommendation simply with my name abbreviation. It is also not really an option if you have a "like-it"-kind of recomendation which comes from ca. 10 000 people. >By the way, just so all the new people learn the tricks: if you're talking here in the Forum and you want to link to an Azimuth Wiki page like 'Visualization tool', you can just type >[[Visualization tool]] I know, but I use not only the Azimuth wiki and forum and sometimes if I am not sure which exact syntax was used in which wiki, forum or other social media sites it is easier for me to just write the full HTML instead of looking into the manual. It is thus a bit problematic that there are meanwhile some sites where normal HTML is not accepted. This is a bit as if english would in some country not be excepted as an international language.