Options

Introduction

Hello everyone.

I am sorry it took me quite a while to introduce myself.

I'm a PhD candidate mathematician working at the University of Zagreb, Croatia. I am currently working in the field of rectifiability and fractal properties of solutions to some (nonautonomous) ODEs.

My general interest is dynamics of almost anything that evolves - be it in engineering, economics, ecology, politics and the kitchen sink (I am said to be of too broad interests for my own good). Foremost, though, I am interested in the real-world questions of sustaining human societies and whatever science that may entail.

I am of opinion that both climate change and growing inaccessibility of high-octane fuel are so likely that it is necessary to adapt to them rather than focus on fighting them. On the less pessimistic side, I am very fond of permaculture as both a set of ideas and a set of ethical priniciples and also of the GVCS project (Global village construction set).

On the societal/political side of my interests, I am very interested in cooperatives and their role both in the political-economic field and their possible ecological and sociological effects.

I enjoy reading a lot - lots of stuff from various sources (mainstream and non-mainstream, obscure and not), but I am usually very skeptical of conspiracy theories or any reverse narratives under the maxim "never attribute to malice what can be explained by plain incompetence" (or just noise). Among the authors I really enjoy reading are Ivan Supek, Benoit Mandelbrot, Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Karl Marx, Isaac Asimov, Niccolo Machiavelli and Thomas Kuhn.

A word (or few) on those strange letters in my name - š is just "sh-" as in "shoe" (also ž corresponds to the french "je", and also đ is like "j" in english "junk"). The most subtle thing in Croatian is the difference between the palatals č and ć, the former being the exact match of the -tch in "match" while the latter is a combined sound of t-y, "t" from "tough", "y" from "you". There's actually quite a lot of people in Croatia who do not distinguish those sounds (especially in the NW region with 30% of the population), so in dictations in schools lots of students have problems with those; and in the middle of the Dalmatia region (where the dialects distinguish those quite well) there's a small region without any palatals, so š is "s" and č and ć become "ts". I found it funny at a conference once that I had to explain that difference to a student from Athens, since she couldn't hear nor pronounce any palatals at all (along the lines of "se spoke very good englis").