Options

Introduction - Ken Webb

Hi,

I've become a member of the Azimuth Project because it parallels my own interests, but with a more math focus (math is not one of my strong points). My way of trying to understand things is by writing software. So as learning exercises, I've reimplemented a few of the applications mentioned on Azimuth pages. Some of my online workbooks (informal blog-like entries that are my way of taking active notes) were based on content at the Azimuth Project. I'm especially interested in models about climate change and related issues.

As an example of a learning exercise, I noticed several posts by John Baez and Jacob Biamonte with Feynman diagrams showing the histories of interactions between amoebas, or rabbits and wolves. To me these look like Unified Modeling Language (UML) sequence diagrams. So I wrote a simple app where amoebas reproduce, compete with each other, and generate a sequence diagram. So now I'm wondering just what are the similarities and differences between these two types of diagrams. See Feynman diagram

Because I love networks of all types, I also implemented one of John Baez' petri nets. See John Baez on Petri Nets

If you want to run any of these workbook apps (all works in progress), note that many of them don't yet work well with Internet Explorer, so try to use one of the other browsers.

Things that I'm interested in include:

• networks of all types, hierarchical organization of network nodes, and practical applications
  • climate change, and "saving the planet"
  • programming code that anyone can run in their browser, and that anyone can edit and extend in their browser
  • approaches to software development that allow independently-developed apps to work together
  • the relationship between computer-science object-oriented (OO) concepts and math concepts
  • how everything is connected

I have a BA in Cognitive Science from Carleton University in Ottawa (including lots of psychology courses), and an MSc in Evolutionary and Adaptive Systems from The University of Sussex in Brighton. I've worked for many years as a software developer and consultant, using numerous languages (C, C++, Java, etc.) and approaches.

Now I'd like to get more directly involved in what you guys are doing.

Ken

Comments

edited June 2012

Hi Ken,

Your input will be very welcome. We're trying lots of things in different languages as you'll have seen.

Is there a link to your projects?

Tim van Beek can set you up with an account on the azimuth code project svn repo if you ask him.

If you can send me +Jim Stuttard a private message on google+ I can send you a pdf of the simple climate model book some of us have been working on. I've been trying to finish codes for a simple slab ocean model from chaper 3 of the book.

Cheers

Comment Source:Hi Ken, Your input will be very welcome. We're trying lots of things in different languages as you'll have seen. Is there a link to your projects? Tim van Beek can set you up with an account on the azimuth code project svn repo if you ask him. If you can send me +Jim Stuttard a private message on google+ I can send you a pdf of the simple climate model book some of us have been working on. I've been trying to finish codes for a simple slab ocean model from chaper 3 of the book. Cheers

Hi Jim,

Here are some links to my projects:

I'll ask Tim van Beek about getting set up with the azimuth code project. And I'd love to get the pdf of the climate model book, and will contact you on google+ .

Ken

Comment Source:Hi Jim, Here are some links to my projects: * List of my [online workbooks](http://www.primordion.com/Xholon/wb/listgistwb.php?q=kenwebb), all of which contain some sort of in-page editable app (sometimes trivial) usually implemented with JavaScript. They work best with Firefox and Chrome. The two links I included with my original post above are good examples of workbooks. * List of some of my [Java apps that can be run online](http://www.primordion.com/Xholon/jnlp/). See especially the climate change and other models toward the end of the page. * Example of an app where anyone can [inject new XML structures and Java or JavaScript code while the app is running](http://www.primordion.com/Xholon/pulpcore/Bestiary/index.html), and additional [descriptions](http://primordion.com/collabapp/). I'll ask Tim van Beek about getting set up with the azimuth code project. And I'd love to get the pdf of the climate model book, and will contact you on google+ . Ken