Options

Introduction: Xah Lee

Over the past 4 years, I've learned many math from John Baez's Google Plus postings. They are exactly the type I like: visually beautiful, digestible by undergraduate math students, and has real math content (in contrast to most math popularization books.)

Am a programer. First programing job in 1995 at Wolfram Research. But after that, most programing I do is web site, which is kinda boring with lots human created complexity (as opposed to natural complexity).

Mathematica is my favorite programing language! (I know lisp well, and a little OCaml)

Never had a degree, but math has been my escape in life!

Heard about category theory since 1990s but never learned it. And since 2010s, all Haskell programers are talking about it! I need to understand monad now!

My main goal, is to understand Curry-Howard correspondence, and homotopy type theory. (and the related associated things that are perhaps necessary, such as Godel's theorems, first order logic, type theory, and category theory!)

Am surprised that lots of you guys are from diverse backgrounds outside of math and programing. e.g. I've seen environmental science, electric engineering, biology. But am also surprised, many are programers here! (for some reason, I was expecting mostly from math and physics background, as I thought category theory is a high craft.)

Am off to read the chapter 1, and will be reading and commenting other introduction pages. Nice meeting you guys. Great idea of learning together.

Thank you all! And thank you John.

Comments

Are you the same Xah Lee of ergoemacs fame? if so, thank for you that site. It has helped out quite a bit with Emacs (and Elisp)!

Comment Source:Are you the same Xah Lee of ergoemacs fame? if so, thank for you that site. It has helped out quite a bit with Emacs (and Elisp)!

Something I noticed when I learned category theory was that I found I was much more capable of holding conversations with mathematicians in very different fields than I was comfortable with, because I didn't necessarily need to know the fine details of the subject to get the main ideas. I was also able to learn the details of a branch much quicker because I already had a framework in my mind to place the details into. I would love for this to expand to other fields of thought. It would be great if scientists (at least some of them) framed their ideas in categorical terminology. Then anybody else who knew some category theory could pick up on what they're saying. I think it is fantastic that biologists and engineers are noticing category theory more.

Comment Source:Something I noticed when I learned category theory was that I found I was much more capable of holding conversations with mathematicians in very different fields than I was comfortable with, because I didn't necessarily need to know the fine details of the subject to get the main ideas. I was also able to learn the details of a branch much quicker because I already had a framework in my mind to place the details into. I would love for this to expand to other fields of thought. It would be great if scientists (at least some of them) framed their ideas in categorical terminology. Then anybody else who knew some category theory could pick up on what they're saying. I think it is fantastic that biologists and engineers are noticing category theory more.

Great to see you Timmy from emacs community. The last emacs maintainer Stefan Monnier is a functional programing language researcher. He wrote smie.el for parsing and pcase.el for pattern matching.

I hope (and i know it will) category theory will help me understand many of the functional programing theories and programing language design.

Comment Source:Great to see you Timmy from emacs community. The last emacs maintainer Stefan Monnier is a functional programing language researcher. He wrote smie.el for parsing and pcase.el for pattern matching. I hope (and i know it will) category theory will help me understand many of the functional programing theories and programing language design.

hi Joseph, it is great to see your confirmation of Category Theory application. Thanks for comments, and i'll probably have many weird questions. Am looking forward to learning from discussion.

Comment Source:hi Joseph, it is great to see your confirmation of Category Theory application. Thanks for comments, and i'll probably have many weird questions. Am looking forward to learning from discussion.

Hi, Xah! Glad to see you here. I'm hoping it will be a more lively environment than G+.

Comment Source:Hi, Xah! Glad to see you here. I'm hoping it will be a more lively environment than G+.

Hey Xah! Good to see you here and many thanks for the website, it's been useful to me many a time.

Comment Source:Hey Xah! Good to see you here and many thanks for the website, it's been useful to me many a time.