Options

Introduction: Joseph Moeller

My name is Joe. I am a PhD Student at the University of California, Riverside, another member of John Baez's group. We use category theory to study networks. I want to apply categorical network theory to ecological networks.

Here is a rapid-fire list of other topics I'm interested in, none of which are disjoint: homotopy theory, music, coffee, programming, social justice, vegetarianism, politics, physics, linguistics, algebraic geometry

Comments

Hi, Joe! Great to see you here! What lies in the intersection of algebraic geometry and social justice? "Politicians' evil schemes"?

I hope we get into some ecological issues, though I don't think they're visible in Seven Sketches in Compositionality. I'm trying to work with my ACT2018 students on a biochemistry problem.

Comment Source:Hi, Joe! Great to see you here! What lies in the intersection of algebraic geometry and social justice? "Politicians' evil schemes"? I hope we get into some ecological issues, though I don't think they're visible in _Seven Sketches in Compositionality_. I'm trying to work with my ACT2018 students on a biochemistry problem.

Maybe I should have said "none of which are disconnected".

I've been chatting with my sister (who is home on spring break from UCSB, majoring in evolution and ecology) about ecology, and she's giving me ideas.

Comment Source:Maybe I should have said "none of which are disconnected". I've been chatting with my sister (who is home on spring break from UCSB, majoring in evolution and ecology) about ecology, and she's giving me ideas.

I guess I'd forgotten your sister was studying ecology. Great - learn stuff and try to translate it into math!

Comment Source:I guess I'd forgotten your sister was studying ecology. Great - learn stuff and try to translate it into math!

I recall there was a 4 volumes math book that's collection of essays, whose thesis is that math can and will be applied to everything, e.g. things like law, or any human question. What was book's name? I think it was published in the 1970s.

Comment Source:I recall there was a 4 volumes math book that's collection of essays, whose thesis is that math can and will be applied to everything, e.g. things like law, or any human question. What was book's name? I think it was published in the 1970s.

Joseph - I have the same set of interests as you on "other topics", except coffee, which I avoid. I have been a vegetarian for close to a year and a half now, for ethical reasons mainly. I've been trying to transition to veganism, but it is much harder to do so.

Comment Source:Joseph - I have the same set of interests as you on "other topics", except coffee, which I avoid. I have been a vegetarian for close to a year and a half now, for ethical reasons mainly. I've been trying to transition to veganism, but it is much harder to do so.

Vishal, same regarding vegetarian -> vegan. My issues with going full vegan are mostly social. I would be fine with changing my diet, but imagining going out to eat with people, or eating at people's houses, it seems much more difficult.

Comment Source:Vishal, same regarding vegetarian -> vegan. My issues with going full vegan are mostly social. I would be fine with changing my diet, but imagining going out to eat with people, or eating at people's houses, it seems much more difficult.

Indeed, the social aspect is very important. When I transitioned to vegetarianism, it was quite difficult for my family (parents, brother) to adjust to it, and oftentimes, I felt I burdened them unnecessarily with my new dietary habit. And, it is even worse with respect to friends. I hope my eventual transition to veganism won't bother them too much. On the other hand, my wife has supported me in this matter with much love and kindness!

Comment Source:Indeed, the social aspect is very important. When I transitioned to vegetarianism, it was quite difficult for my family (parents, brother) to adjust to it, and oftentimes, I felt I burdened them unnecessarily with my new dietary habit. And, it is even worse with respect to friends. I hope my eventual transition to veganism won't bother them too much. On the other hand, my wife has supported me in this matter with much love and kindness!