Options

Blog - El Nino project (part 5)

In

I describe how, starting from complete ignorance, one can download R and weather data files and begin to do something with them. I hope this is the first of a series.

The idea here is to record the progress of a newbie... thus demystifying some of this stuff. I hope it lures other people into trying things.

Articles by people who actually know what they're doing would also be useful...

Comments

Looks good, very entertaining! Just spotted a typo:

It huffs, and puffs, and then if I peek in my working, I see that a file called

Comment Source:Looks good, very entertaining! Just spotted a typo: > It huffs, and puffs, and then if I peek in my working, I see that a file called
    edited June 2014

Thanks, I'll fix that. I'll also add a bit of stuff at the beginning listing what readers can learn to do from reading this post.

The not-yet-existent Part 3 will be a summary of the work of Ludescher et al.

Comment Source:Thanks, I'll fix that. I'll also add a bit of stuff at the beginning listing what readers can learn to do from reading this post. The not-yet-existent Part 3 will be a summary of the work of Ludescher _et al_.
    edited June 2014

Part 3 exists now.

I would like to move Part 4 back to become Part 5. Part 4 should briefly summarize Graham's attempts so far to replicate the work of Ludescher et al. This is more exciting than my feeble attempts to learn R.

(Part 4 should not try to summarize all Graham's work so far; that can come later.)

Comment Source:[Part 3](http://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/Blog+-+El+Ni%C3%B1o+project+%28part+3%29) exists now. I would like to move Part 4 back to become Part 5. Part 4 should briefly summarize Graham's attempts so far to replicate the work of Ludescher _et al_. This is more exciting than my feeble attempts to learn R. (Part 4 should not try to summarize _all_ Graham's work so far; that can come later.)

I have renamed this article on my attempts to start programming: it was Part 4, now it's

Comment Source:I have renamed this article on my attempts to start programming: it was Part 4, now it's * [[El Nino project (part 5)]]
    edited July 2014

I've published this, and it's already having a good response... even though my website is down so none of the pictures are showing now:

As I expected, more people are willing to join in when I clown around a bit and suggest that "anyone can do this stuff".

I've gotten one concrete useful thing out of it so far: a version of Graham's netcdf-convertor.R that works using ncdf instead of netcdf. This is apparently a new improved version of the package.

But the long-term goal is to rope some more people into the project.... and also of course to educate folks, get them interested in climate science, and get them talking to each other.

Comment Source:I've published this, and it's already having a good response... even though my website is down so none of the pictures are showing now: * [El Niño project (part 5)](http://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/2014/07/12/el-nino-project-part-5/), Azimuth Blog. As I expected, more people are willing to join in when I clown around a bit and suggest that "anyone can do this stuff". I've gotten one concrete useful thing out of it so far: a version of Graham's netcdf-convertor.R that works using ncdf instead of netcdf. This is apparently a new improved version of the package. But the long-term goal is to rope some more people into the project.... and also of course to educate folks, get them interested in climate science, and get them talking to each other.