Options

Blog - carbon cycle box models (part 2)

Started

Blog - carbon cycle box models (part 2)

I will focus on two-box models and briefly address non-linearity.

Comments

and I cant edit any pages right now, so I need someone to look into this.

Comment Source:and I cant edit any pages right now, so I need someone to look into this.

..but now I tested while being logged into the Azimuth Forum and it works. Is that what makes it work?

How are the spam filters set up?

Comment Source:..but now I tested while being logged into the Azimuth Forum and it works. Is that what makes it work? How are the spam filters set up?

Is that what makes it work?

That's not supposed to matter. Again: please post technical questions in the category Technical, so Andrew Stacey will see them. He doesn't read all the comments in other categories!

Comment Source:> Is that what makes it work? That's not _supposed_ to matter. Again: please post technical questions in the category [Technical](http://forum.azimuthproject.org/9/), so Andrew Stacey will see them. He doesn't read all the comments in other categories!

It works and I can edit now. I will remember that next time !

Comment Source:It works and I can edit now. I will remember that next time !

I will write about the ocean part of the carbon cycle - not just because it is the largest "fountain" but due to the fact that its complicated to explain and there are several mechanisms i want to address.

Comment Source:I will write about the ocean part of the carbon cycle - not just because it is the largest "fountain" but due to the fact that its complicated to explain and there are several mechanisms i want to address.
    edited July 2012

Great!

1) Why does introducing more CO2 into the ocean make it more acidic? This is actually quite subtle. I think I'd need to solve a some equations to understand it. We discussed it here. I've never gotten further in understanding this issue, though I could with some work.

2) Why does the CO2 concentration in the Earth's atmosphere increase so much near the end of a glacial cycle? This is even more subtle, and I don't think anyone knows for sure.

Comment Source:Great! 1) Why does introducing more CO<sub>2</sub> into the ocean make it more acidic? This is actually quite subtle. I think I'd need to solve a some equations to understand it. We discussed it [here](http://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/2010/08/18/dying-coral-reefs/#comment-679). I've never gotten further in understanding this issue, though I could with some work. 2) Why does the CO<sub>2</sub> concentration in the Earth's atmosphere increase so much near the end of a glacial cycle? This is even more subtle, and I don't think anyone knows for sure.

sorry i didn't see this until now. This are two questions I'm gonna expand in the 2nd blog. The first is easier and is explained in both Archers book on the carbon cycle and also some of the papers by Sarmiento et.al which I refer to on the Experiments and I'll answer when I've recovered from vacation - actually my last week now-. The 2nd i am sure I read about in Broecker's book "The great ocean conveyor" PUP 2010 - which is actually also a paleoclimate "thriller" :-)

Comment Source:sorry i didn't see this until now. This are two questions I'm gonna expand in the 2nd blog. The first is easier and is explained in both Archers book on the carbon cycle and also some of the papers by Sarmiento et.al which I refer to on the [[Experiments]] and I'll answer when I've recovered from vacation - actually my last week now-. The 2nd i am sure I read about in Broecker's book "The great ocean conveyor" PUP 2010 - which is actually also a paleoclimate "thriller" :-)

sorry here is a more precise link

Comment Source:sorry here is a more [precise link](http://www.azimuthproject.org/azimuth/show/Experiments+with+ocean+carbon+box+model#geochemical_processes_4)

I hope you recover from your vacation soon. Sometimes you need another vacation to recover from a vacation.

Wally Broecker certainly knows how to make things exciting! I think he's the one who invented the term 'great ocean conveyor belt'. However, I think most people now agree that the flow of fresh water into the North Atlantic is less important for the overall global climate than he argued.

Comment Source:I hope you recover from your vacation soon. Sometimes you need another vacation to recover from a vacation. Wally Broecker certainly knows how to make things exciting! I think he's the one who invented the term 'great ocean conveyor belt'. However, I think most people now agree that the flow of fresh water into the North Atlantic is less important for the overall global climate than he argued.