I got some pointed and constructive feedback on this draft from [Edward Lewine](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Lewine), a friend I know from the neighborhood and my daughters' school. He's a journalist with experience writing articles for the New York Times, and he was a staff writer at the New York Daily News. I found his points to be rather compelling.

Comment #1:

> My experience is that what writers mostly want to hear is, “This is perfect, don’t change it.” And since you have already had this one accepted and have said you want to tune the piece, I was tempted to just offer a few tune up ideas. But I think you could make this much better with an edit that goes a little deeper than a tune up.

> The basic problem with what you have is that you have two different pieces appended to each other. The first is an intro to the Azimuth Project. The second is an exploration of the application of Network Theory to the environment. I think you’d be more effective in achieving your stated goal with this piece to save the latter material about Network Theory for part II and just introduce the Azimuth Project. I think you would also serve your reader better by digging a bit more deeply into what the project is, who is in it and what its goals are.

> The final piece should be about half as long as it currently is. What you have right now is too long and you’ll lose many readers.

> Those are my general notes. If you don’t want to deal with all of that, then I’d be happy to do a line edit on what you have.

That makes complete sense to me. But if it were split into two right now, the first part, on the introduction to the Azimuth project, would be too thin. That leads back to the question about what are the actual main activities of the Azimuth project, as it stands today. My answer: the multi-author blog. A while back, there was nice wave of activity on the Azimuth Code Project -- which I would like to reactivate, at least by writing some blogs and doing some coding myself. This is what prompted me to recently post the draft of the article explaining how the stochastic resonance code works. An Azimuth project with two prongs, blog and coding, will be more a more appealing subject for a blog article on Azimuth and its activities.