I have now looked at all January images here:
http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/ocean/sst/anomaly/index.html
they ALL contain a red spot inthe Barents sea

If I haven't overseen something then 2008 was first were the spot was extending behind the Svalbard, but
quite some of the earlier images seem to contain no measurements for that region:

>Maybe the ice albedo effect? Warming is accelerated in the Arctic by the fact that when ice begins to melt, it becomes darker in color, leading to a feedback called the ice albedo effect.

Maybe it has something to do with the ice. That is in particular I don't know how the SST is determined if there is ice, wether they drill holes or wether not.
Is the Barent sea closed by ice in January? I would think yes, but may be not. In this book "Ecosystem Barents Sea
herausgegeben von Egil Sakshaug,Geir Helge Johnsen,Kit M. Kovacs", which can be found on google and which I can't link to in this editor without replacing about
eventually 20 wrong html commands on page 40 image 2.6 it is described that "a typical feature of the Barents sea is that the south-western parts are covered with warm Atlantic and coastal waters, while the northeastern parts are occupied by colder arctic and locally formed water masses. The border between the Atlantic and Arctic water masses is called the Polar front. During winter the ice edge usually follows this front.

So this book seems to indicate that that warm spot is a "basin of warm Atlantic water". But why then is the Atlantic west of that spot cold?

>I understand, especially since you keep saying this.

Yes, last but not least I keep saying this, because I have the impression that this topic is somewhat underrepresented
in the discussions here.