A long time ago David wrote:

> Hi Nad, The reason why the parser is choking on these posts is because the html anchor syntax that you are using isn’t supported (at least directly).

Actually the big problem is that she had a `` without a matching ``. This tends to cause lots of mysterious error messages.

I'm not sure what "html anchor syntax" is, but the current forum _does_ allow links of the general type Nad was trying to use! You can write

`> Here is a post about the octonions which John shouldn't have written, because he should be getting ready for his NIPS talk`

and get

> Here is a post about the octonions which John shouldn't have written, because he should be getting ready for his NIPS talk.

I found this very useful before I realized that the Wordpress blog also accepts Markdown. I believe the problem with Nad's

`>Here is a link about the Montavid research group`

is the ampersand in the URL, since this character plays a special role in html. Often you have to replace an ampersand by the html entity `&` (which, ironicaly, contains an ampersand!). Let's see if this works:

`> Here is a link about the Montavid research group.`

produces

> Here is a link about the Montavid research group.

Yes, it works!

However, this may change if we move to the new forum and decide not to implement HTML5. Right?