Richard Lindzen, the "father" of QBO modeling, is at it again with his anti-AGW crusade. He recently sent in a petition to Trump asking to withdraw from the Paris agreement. But now his MIT colleagues are fighting back:

>"Their letter, sent last week, was drafted in response to a letter that Lindzen sent Trump last month, urging him to withdraw the United States from the international climate accord signed in Paris in 2015. That agreement, signed by nearly 200 nations, seeks to curb the greenhouse gases linked to global warming." https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/03/08/mit-professors-denounce-their-colleague-letter-trump-for-denying-evidence-climate-change/86K8ur31YIUbMO4SAI7U2N/story.html

Lindzen seems to be a pariah among his colleagues. This is an interesting piece from years ago

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/23/AR2006052301305.html
> “Of all the skeptics, MIT’s Richard Lindzen probably has the most credibility among mainstream scientists, who acknowledge that he’s doing serious research on the subject. ”
>“When I ask (William) Gray who his intellectual soul mates are regarding global warming, he responds, “I have nobody really to talk to about this stuff.”
> That’s not entirely true. He has many friends and colleagues, and the meteorologists tend to share his skeptical streak.
> I ask if he has ever collaborated on a paper with Richard Lindzen. Gray says he hasn’t. He looks a little pained.
“Lindzen, he’s a hard guy to deal with,” Gray says. “He doesn’t think he can learn anything from me.” Which is correct. Lindzen says of Gray: “His knowledge of theory is frustratingly poor, but he knows more about hurricanes than anyone in the world. I regard him in his own peculiar way as a national resource.”

Note the condescending tone of Lindzen in the last sentences. Who is willing to bet that Lindzen's theory of QBO is fundamentally wrong? Lindzen is so sure of himself and his talents that he probably declared victory on his QBO model long before it was ready for prime-time.

> "There're people like [Lindzen] in every field of science. There are always people in the fringes. They're attracted to the fringe . . . It may be as simple as, how do you prove you're smarter than everyone else? You don't do that by being part of the consensus," (Isaac) Held says.

Lindzen likely manufactured his own consensus around QBO, and was able to make a convincing case based on his credentials.