17 August 2017:

1) Kenny's first paper, A bicategory of decorated cospans, has been published by Theory and Applications of Categories. He put a lot of work into this! It looks great in its final form.

2) Nina Otter is visiting me at the Centre for Quantum Technologies - we got some money from the center for her to do this. We're trying to write a quick, short paper on the relation between persistent homology and magnitude homology.

3) I wrote a blog article that starts explaining how our project with Metron is using operads to design networks:

* Complex adaptive system design (part 3).

I'll need to write more to really explain the idea! DARPA is having a seminar on operads on September 14th and they may use some of these blog articles as reading material.

4) And now for the really big news: there will be a workshop on Applied Category Theory at the Lorentz Center in Leiden, the Netherlands, April 23 to May 4, 2018. This is being organized by Bob Coecke, Aleks Kissinger, Martha Lewis and Josh Tan... and our very own Brendan Fong!

They've put together an ambitious program where grad students will join online seminars in January and start doing projects. Nina Otter is helping organize this. This phase will culminate in a few days of sessions at the Lorentz Center, which come right before the actual conference.

At the conference there will be speakers roughly like this:

* Samson Abramsky
* John Baez
* Mikhail Gromov
* Kathryn Hess
* Jean Krivine
* Tom Leinster
* Nicoletta Sabadini
* Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh

This list is likely to change a bit, so please don't spread it around. (Gromov is such a bigshot that I'll be amazed if he comes, but it would be cool.)

I hope all of you apply when the application opens up, though I can't promise all of you will be accepted. I'll be running one of the seminars, but for my grad students this will be a great chance to learn from someone else and - if you're well-organized - even write a paper. It should be a wonderful experience: I don't think there's ever been a conference that covered such wide-ranging applications of category theory.

Now I'm supposed to apply for an NSF grant to help pay for US grad students to attend this conference. Brendan should keep pestering me to actually do this.

There's a bit more information on the conference below. I imagine some of this is tentative.