9 December 2017:

Here is this week's progress:

1) Brandon will be doing another job interview, this time for a 2-year "teaching postdoc" at the University of Minnesota. Go, Brandon, go!

2) Daniel and Kenny got a referee's report on their paper Spans of cospans in a topos. The referee rejected the paper, which doesn't sound like progress... but the referee did so on the basis of counterexample that completely ignored one of the conditions in their theorem! So they wrote to the editor at TAC in charge of their paper, and I'm hoping they'll have better luck now.

3) I finished a paper I was invited to write for the forthcoming new and improved Newsletter of the London Mathematical Society: From the icosahedron to E8. It's about two ways to get E8 from the icosahedron - fun stuff, full of beautiful pictures.

4) I was invited to give a plenary talk at the "International conference on operad theory and related topics'' at Anhui University, in Hefei, China from November 5-9, 2018. I probably won't go, because it's a long flight followed by a long train ride for a short conference.

5) John Foley pointed out another applied category theory job - see the amazing words in boldface:

Multiple post-doctoral positions are open at the University of Maryland, College Park, to study fundamental mathematical and computational techniques for the conceptual design of engineered systems. Specifically, we are looking for talented researchers with expertise and a publication track-record in one (or more) of the following areas:

• Design Theory and Methodology, for example, in Computational Design Synthesis for engineering systems involving the interplay of function, behavior, and structure.

• Data-Driven Design and Optimization, for example, simulation-based design, multi-fidelity optimization, robotics, or optimal control.

• Computer Science, for example, machine learning/AI, software architecture, functional programming, lambda-calculus, and computer graphics/geometry.

• Applied Mathematics, for example, operator algebras, category theory, differential geometry, topology, or mathematical logic.

The appointments will be in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, full-time, for at least one-year with the possibility of renewals pending satisfactory performance and funding. Remuneration will be competitive and based on qualifications. The expected start date is January, 2018, though earlier or later state dates are negotiable. Applicants will be considered on a continuing basis until the positions are filled.