31 December 2018:

Happy New Year!

Here is this week's progress, as far as I know:

1) Today Kenny and Daniel submitted a corrected version of their paper Spans of cospans in a topos to TAC. With luck it'll be published soon!

2) I finished the paper I'm writing with Blake, Joseph and John F: Network models. I think we're ready to put this on the arXiv and submit it to TAC.

The main thing left to do was give a more high-powered construction of symmetric monoidal categories from lax symmmetric monoidal functors F: C -> Cat using the theory of opfibrations and some 2-category theory. Christina kindly explained to us how to operate the necessary power tools!

3) On the negative progress front, when I asked the editor why my paper Quantum techniques for reaction networks from Natural Computing despite a positive referee's report, they said it was because the paper was too late for the special issue it was supposed to appear in. This was outrageous, given that the delays were all their fault. However, they said I could resubmit it after editing it.

Just for your amusement, here's how I replied:

Dear Joost Kok -

Thanks for the explanation! I would like to resubmit the paper right now, so it's attached below.

I first submitted this paper to Natural Computing on March 20, 2014. On January 26, 2016 I was told the manuscript was accepted but some corrections were required. The email didn't say what corrections were required. When I asked, I was told to wait for the editor to make a decision. On September 30, 2016 the guest editor, Ville Bergholm, told me:

We are writing to let you know that your paper is accepted, and is listed as accepted in the editorial system. Since this is a special issue, unfortunately we must wait until all the papers have completed the review process to complete publication.

On July 13, 2017, I got some referee's reports, and an unnamed editor told me:

Based on the advice received, I have decided that your manuscript can be accepted for publication after you have carried out the corrections as suggested by the reviewer(s).

I made the changes. On December 16th I got an email in which the referee said my paper deserved to be published... but the paper was rejected because the special issue has taken too long to appear.

I have never seen such a situation before. I hope you accept and actually publish my paper.

Best,

jb

I haven't heard back from him. I'll ask what's up in a week or two, when the holidays are over.

On the bright side, Lisa and I had a great time on a trip to the Navaho Nation in Arizona and then to Gallup, New Mexico. And, I've been having fun writing a series of blog articles about a 4-dimensional regular polytope with 600 tetrahedral faces: