@WebHubTel, I attended the Lorenz-Charney symposium at MIT, in their memory and honor, and there was a historical talk about how Lorenz realized the influence of chaos and the Butterfly Effect. To the degree the talk was accurate, I was underwhelmed. The phenomenon he "discovered" has been well known to numerical analysts for substantially longer than a century. And Mandelbrot had been working on chaos for a while, as well as a plethora of Russians we tend to forget. Now, sure, I don't want to take anything away from Lorenz: There is a definite role for a scientific leader to take an idea that's already out there and emphasize its importance and show how it is very relevant. Bradley Efron did that with the Bootstrap in Statistics, although he'll be the first to tell you -- and has noted it in his books -- that he did not "invent" the idea at all. So, to some extent, the Lorenz thing is a favorite son being cheered. And you're right, the typical things which are concluded from Butterfly, various impossibility results and No Free Lunch theorems, are largely incorrect.