No problem, Paul. ATTP has consumed more and more of my time, of late. And my comment about the trolls is based upon historical evidence that, in the past, major funders of climate denial offer bounties for various kinds of anti-climate change actions, ranging from patrols of comments on posts related to climate in major news outlets, to writing papers for scientific publication. There have been people who confessed that they received US$2000 per such accepted paper. The purposes of these is to challenge standard science, sow doubt in the readership and, most importantly, distract and engage and otherwise occupy scientists and advocates for climate change mitigation and renewable energy in opposing these views rather than pursuing more worthwhile objectives.

I know this sounds paranoid but actually there's evidence now. And, indeed, some of the connections are pretty far up the food chain, including via a shady outfit called "The $CO_2$ Coalition", involving William Happer (a part of *45*'s administration for a time), Don Easterbrook, and David Burton. I tusseled with Burton at my blog for a time. I [recounted the experience here](https://667-per-cm.net/2019/10/15/the-co2-coaliation-a-cabal-of-digital-denial/). In particular, Burton opposes Prof Rob Young in North Carolina when Rob tries to convince shoreline towns that building dikes and doing beach refurbishment is a waste of money, and that the best thing that can be done is oversee managed retreat.

And this extends to paying people who do not live nearby to show up at public hearings on licenses and permits for land-based wind energy to oppose placement of turbines, and even of solar farms. It doesn't take many loud voices to get the media to pick up the story, and that's the point.

So, while I will still engage from time to time, if people are numerous enough and harness the otherwise good intentions of moderators to embrace "a wide variety of views are accepted here" or "we need to hear from all sides", it's a losing cause. The strongest way I can protest is my denying the things I bring to the discussion, which you so kindly pointed out.

There are lots of other places to go and things to help with. In fact, I'm working with Tamino at his blog on some sea level rise stuff.

By the way, regarding interpretable neural networks, there's a lot of recent work by Cynthia Rudin of Duke, formerly of MIT and who I know, regarding interpretable ML and other systems. A primary paper for them is:

Angelino, Larus-Stone, Alabi, Seltzer, Rudin, "[Learning certi´Čüably optimal rule lists for categorical data](http://www.jmlr.org/papers/volume18/17-716/17-716.pdf)", _JMLR_, 18 (2018) 1-78

I don't know how the techniques transfer to continuous or measure variables, if indeed they do.