>That figure seems to be the daily variation (0-24) in carbon dioxide due to uptake (blue) or release. I expect it’s only the lower part of the boundary layer (which is itself the lower part of the troposphere). Then the shifting pattern in the figure would have nothing to do with winds, it’s just because the sun is moving from east to west and plants react to that (perhaps factories too ;-))

Yes that gif makes more sense to me now. I think you are right - it was probably carbon dioxide uptake and release on day 08.07.2006 in the lower part of the troposphere. Another indication: although the image is quite flickering it looks also as if the movement goes in another direction then it seems one would expect from atmospheric circulation (do you know wether this "atmospheric circulation pattern holds also for the stratossphere? Or - why is everything well-mixed there?). Despite the fact that the animations showed no "wind" it still appears to me more likely that the high CO2 concentrations in the mid troposphere over Siberia come from atmospheric circulation than from from methane, but I would rather prefer to get more images on these dynamics.

>[Added: if I remember correctly the well-mixed refers to the stratosphere, where the carbon dioxide influences the radiative forcing]

It seems the radiative forcing is measured in the tropopause so may be there is also some forcing on the troposphere ? - anyways it would be nice to have similar images/animations for the stratosphere.

> I would not expect these to have much influence on local temperatures; variations in local temperatures probably have much more to do with teleconnections to large-scale climate patterns like ENSO etc. than they do to the local CO2 forcing.

Probably - but still it would be interesting to see more images like the above ones, I find. I could imagine that there are at least local differences between north and south hemisphere but then as said above I don't know how the mixing takes place in the stratosphere.