I am an associate professor in biochemistry at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. I do protein and RNA crystallography. I took two years of physical chemistry and 4 quarters of mathematical physics, but I never took a course in abstract algebra nor analysis, so I bring a blank slate to category theory. I have published a three applied papers related to the crystallographic phase problem in crystallography: the application of direct methods to the structure determination of larger nucleic acids and proteins. I have intermediate R and Python programming skills and an interest in applying Bayesian statistics to my work. I am also interested in experimental designs including optimal experiments and response surface methodology. I was introduced to category theory last fall semester by a senior colleague in my department who works in proteomics. I may prove to be the slowest student to my other professional obligations, but I cannot wait for retirement to learn about category theory.